Engine Dies

Guest 95NorCal

Guest 95NorCal

hey guys- When I accelerate around a right hand turn hard or go over a big bump my engine usually completely cuts out or sputters violently. The only way to get it to run again after this happens is to get out and rock the Pathfinder back and forth. Has anybody ever experienced this or have any idea what would cause it? I can't go offroad and everyday driving can be a pain. Help! thanks!

i've never heard of those symptoms and conditions before, so I suppose that it could be anything ... try elecrtical connections to be sure that there isn't a "raw" wire hanging out there and possibly grounding out ... :shrug:

That'd be an electrical connector or wire coming loose or grounding out. Check around the mass airflow sensor, the distributor and the coil first. Then check near the exhaust manifolds for anything touching those and possibly being melted or fried.

Mine would start to run crappy and die when I hit a big bump or really torqued the engine. Turns out the connector on top of the MAF sensor was bad and the movement was just enough to flex the wire (since it actually hit the underside of the hood) and give me an open circuit. I'd bea ble to catch it acting up, jump ut real quick, open the hood and wiggle the wire. All world be fine until the next time it got flexed. A little creative cutting and soldering and I turned the connection into a 90-degree so the wire doesn't go up anymore. I have not had a problem like that since the repair. Be sure to let us know what the problem turns out to be as these boards are a great source of troubleshooting and such.

Guest 95NorCal

I have tried wiggiling the MAF wire before and it doesn't do anything. I seem to think it is the fuel pump cutting out. Would it make any sense that shaking the car could have some affect on the fuel pump that would get it to start working again?