Another alternator question.............

zack1978

I think the alternator is on it's way out on my 1995 SE-V6, but the strange thing is that it works when it wants to at this point. I did have the tell tale dash lights go on once or twice, but that is not a constant. The bigger issue is that the dash lights get brighter and dim at random times, is that indicitave of the alternator as well?

Thanks,

Zack

The alternator uses a internal voltage reguator. I would removed the alternator and take it down to your local Parts store and see if they can test it for you. Usually thats free. Double check all your connections on the Alt as well as your battery and the ground on the engine.

A good way to test your alternator is to do the following with your multimeter:

Test battery current with vehicle off.

Test battery current with vehicle on, no ancilliaries, just idleing

Test alternator current with vehicle on, no ancilliaries, just idleing.

Test battery again with all electrical items on, running at approx 1/3 - 1/2 revs

Test alternator again with all electrical items on, running at approx. 1/3 - 1/2 revs.

By doing the above, you will see if the alternator is really charging the battery or not, both at low revs/stress and higher revs/stress. We've done this on all my vehicles when we've suspected the alternator and it's turned out to be an accurate test.

I had the same problem with my alternator it would do that but would charge enough so the battery wouldnt die but once i put a system in mine the light would come on alot and the battery would die. SO i just had to change my belts and it worked great ever sense!