While in gear a knocking noise commin from tranny area?

MadManMike

Okay guys... This one is freaking me out..

So I noticed yesterday as I was idling at a stoplight the sound of metal banging on metal... It only happends while in gear, goes away when I put it into park or N.

It feels like it is shaking the whole vehicle... something is wobbling..

Any ideas?

-Mike

Can't be the torque converter, it would do it all the time. Try setting the parking brake or but the truck against a tree, in gear and watch your harmonic balancer. See if the crank is jumping back and forth. I had a dodge that did the same thing. I thought it was the motor knocking. I ended up having to shim the crank. I'm not sure what you are hearing. Does it sound like it's in the engine, or more of a sheet metal bang?

Can't be the torque converter, it would do it all the time. Try setting the parking brake or but the truck against a tree, in gear and watch your harmonic balancer. See if the crank is jumping back and forth. I had a dodge that did the same thing. I thought it was the motor knocking. I ended up having to shim the crank. I'm not sure what you are hearing. Does it sound like it's in the engine, or more of a sheet metal bang?

More of an engine bang... less sheet metal.

From what it sounds like is that it's commin from the bottom of the car, can't pinpoint it. If it's not raining tomorrow I will try and hear where it is exactly coming from.

-Mike

Watch the crank, see if it walks back and forth. It's hard to tell without being there to listen for myself. I'll try to point directions as I think of them. I have never heard any noises like that from a tranny. But I have only owned one nissan. They may have their own quirks.

get a 3 foot piece of 5/8 or 1/2 inch hose. shove one end in your ear, crawl under the truck and probe around with the other end. poor man's stethescope but it works great for pinpointing noises

Maybe it's a shot trans mount or engine mount?

I hope not...

It's been really crappy weather so I haven't had a chance to lay in the wet driveway yet... I am starting to think this might have something to do with my recent loss of power...

I might just have to take my pathfinder into a professional :ohmy: and have them diagnose it... Because that is the 3rd knocking or ticking noise coming from my engine.

BTW: I have narrowed down my 2 other ticking noises, one is a lifter going bad and the other sounds like a bad pulley or bearing.... Me hopes it's not the T-belt tensioner.. ( I just replaced it a year ago).

I will let you guys know what the so called pro's say...

-Mike