Alternator Problem

CSCustomCars

Just bought my 94 SE, and I'm pretty sure the alternator is gone. It's got 151 thousand miles on it, so I'm sure it's probably shot. I will test it sometime later this week to be positive though.

Onto my question. I saw that I could get a voltage regulator and brush kit a lot cheaper than I can get a reman alt. So, is it the voltage regulator the usually cause for an alternator failure on these? It'd be a lot cheaper to get that than a new alt.

If not, I'll guess I'll be buying a new alternator. I'm hoping I won't have to to though...

Do you have any dash lights on? When the alt goes it'll turn on the BRAKE, VOLT and A/T TEMP lights (if you have an A/T). If you're unsure, take 'er to an auto parts store and have them test it! Most stores do it for free and you don't have to remove it.

Do you have any dash lights on? When the alt goes it'll turn on the BRAKE, VOLT and A/T TEMP lights (if you have an A/T). If you're unsure, take 'er to an auto parts store and have them test it! Most stores do it for free and you don't have to remove it.

I have a tester available to me. But I'll probably go to advance anyway. I'm too lazy to work on my own cars, when all I do all day is work on other people's cars.

And no, none of my lights are on, however, I have a Manual. But I'll check it out.

where'd you find the rebuild parts? My V/R went out and I Just replaced the whole thing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/alternator-...Q2em118Q2el1247

I realize it's an eBay product, and probably not the best quality, however, it'd push out the need for an alternator a bit longer...

Edited by CSCustomCars

Okay this morning both the brake light and the battery light turned on. I had a used battery in it, and had it tested. It tested bad, so I got a new new battery. Starts and runs like a champ. It was cranking a little slow before, but all better now.

So I'm assuming the alt just finally cooked itself.

^^ Yeah I'm aware of that fact. I bought the battery used from the Auto parts store about 3 weeks ago. They sell used batteries that they get that are still good. However, this is the second used battery I bought from them that went bad in less than a month. So, I won't be buying them used there anymore. Only new. The good part is they guarentee them for 6 months. So I always got my money back.

I did have the alt tested, and it's still working, but it's definitely not up to snuff. It's worn. I'll change it out when I get a used one from a junk yard.