Headlights turning on/off intermittently

BobLoblaw

Hey guys,

I've got a headlight issue. First off, my daytime running lights only work on my left side. That's not such a big deal. 75% of the Pathy's I drive by are "winking" at me too. I heard that there is some kind of module (I haven't located it yet) that is the cause for this problem. Is this correct? Will a good cleaning of this module fix it?

Here's where the real problem begins. Recently, when turning my low-beams on, the left light has not come on. Usually, if I flip my lights on/off a few times and the both come on normally but it's a little troubling. Sometimes, I'll hit a speed bump and the left one will go out. It usually comes on if I hit another bump. What's going on with this headlight system? How do I fix this low-beam problem?

I had a problem a few months ago, where my lowbeams would work fine, but when I switched to my highbeams, the drivers one wouldn't work. I just banged the light and it worked again, until the next time. Finally I got irritated and took out the bulb, it looked fine, and put it back in, no problems since... It just might not be seated properly in the socket.

I recently had it do it again on the labour day weekend after I ran a trail....I think in my case the socket is messed up.

So things to check are the DRL module for your first issue, then the wiring/sockets for the second also check the headlight switch. Common on older vehicles.

Sounds like a wiring issue

The problem is, is that I'm completely useless when it comes to wiring problems. Why would this start now? I've changed nothing in the truck. Where should I check first? And where is this elusive DRL module? I can't find it.

The problem is, is that I'm completely useless when it comes to wiring problems. Why would this start now? I've changed nothing in the truck. Where should I check first? And where is this elusive DRL module? I can't find it.

The DRL module is behind the fender on the left side of the battery, you'll see it.

Well, I would have assumed it was the DRL module, with just flipping the light switch till they both worked, until i read that bumps affected it. This usually means something loose somewhere, and hitting bumps either makes the connection or breaks it. I agree with what redfinder said, the sockets might be just weird enough to cause this, and the headlight switch as well, though I think less because of how the lights are affected when you hit bumps, but it's definitely something to look into.

Okay, great. So you think that part is the problem?

It could be. I haven't heard of any common headlight wiring issues on these trucks. But I do know it is common for the DRL module and headlight switch to go bad... You can clean the contacts on the switch and attempt to repair the module. I think there is a write up in the how to section.

Sounds like the headlight switch. There is a contact for each beam. A common issue with our Pathys.

A search of Headlight switch will bring up a ton of threads on this. Like the others have said, a sodder break in the DRL will result in the passenger side light out.

headlightswitch.jpg

Sounds like the headlight switch. There is a contact for each beam. A common issue with our Pathys.

A search of Headlight switch will bring up a ton of threads on this. Like the others have said, a sodder break in the DRL will result in the passenger side light out.

headlightswitch.jpg

I saw many of those posts, but honestly, there were too many! Is there a definitive headlight switch/DRL module repair topic somewhere?

I also noticed today that turning my highbeams on causes the left light to go out as well. I assume this is b/c of the switch too.

Sounds like a wiring issue

Im going to agree with this statement! you have the exact same problem my 86 nissan 300zx had. I ended up bridged the lights off of the otherside that worked. Has worked great since and have not had any problems with wires getting to warm and melting so it should be save to say its a good fix unless you have really high powered headlights. I have the best silverstars i can get here but they arent anything special.

Im going to agree with this statement! you have the exact same problem my 86 nissan 300zx had. I ended up bridged the lights off of the otherside that worked. Has worked great since and have not had any problems with wires getting to warm and melting so it should be save to say its a good fix unless you have really high powered headlights. I have the best silverstars i can get here but they arent anything special.

I'm just too scared to do anything with the actual wiring. I'm bound to F it up and then I won't have any lights!!! I guess I'll just try taking the headlight switch apart. So just to be sure, I take the switch apart and make sure those contacts are firmly touching each other (do I bend them a bit?)

You should see them move as you move the switch. With the switch in the on position, 2 should be touching. With the highbeam switch on, they all should be touching.