parking brake/ hand brake

muskie

hi guys, i have done a search but cant find an answer, what i want to know is does the rear park brake adjust inside the drum(disc) manually or is the only form of manual adjustment from the cable underneath?? my cables are not seized but my brake wont hold my truck on a slight hill. brake linings look ok. any ideas??

your old cables are stretched and new ones will strech as they become old. I theres nothing wrong with the "pre-stretched cables" try shortening and re-crimping the rear ones, they are not likely to strech anymore.

but before you do that make sure your rear brakes are in good service, sometime a new set of brake shoes will make a big differance on you e-brake.

does the rear park brake adjust inside the drum(disc) manually or is the only form of manual adjustment from the cable underneath?? my cables are not seized but my brake wont hold my truck on a slight hill. brake linings look ok. any ideas??

You can adjust the rear brakes through a little port. There is a star wheel that spreads the shoes. Past that, they are self adjusting, reversing and applying brakes does that I believe. If your turn buckle cable tensioning dingus is maxed out, there isn't too much you can do short of being creative or buying new cables. I am in the same position; my rear brakes are in good shape with plenty of pad left, adjusted properly but the parking brake barely holds the truck.

I plan to make a spacer that clips over cable at the lever end, effectively extending the cable outward from it's socket .25-.5". I have to take a few measurements but perhaps I can do that today. I'll fab up a few so if you are patient, you can have one. :shrug:

B

Ok, correction. The cable can not be preloaded as I had thought. It appears 'pinned' in place at the hand lever...

I have an idea for the rear adjustment area that should be acceptable. Give me a few days to work it out...

B