Hello from West Coast

lather

Hello, I am a new guy from Northern California, I am a machinist, and fisherman...that should sum it up. I recently acquired a 87 pathy lawn ornament in a happenstance after my exlpoder exploded.(surprise), It needed some love, and I have more love than money, so what the hell! I can wrench. Anywhos, it has over 200,000 miles, and needs a bit of everything. And ran like CRAP. but the thing really is...This is my first Nissan, sorry but yep.I got 99% of the usable info I needed from this forum. I lurked, read, stole, printed, and found more info about my specific problems here, than anywhere else. MAFS, TPS, cylinder head coolant temp sensor, idle issues, self diagnostic codes and how to consider them etc. It's all stock, and running fairly well now. And if it gets me through the winter I am happy, if it makes a year I am blessed. So mostly to give credit where it is due...thanks everyone for doing the legwork already...shameless plug follows...And thanks to John at Parts for Imports, for being a wealth of general wrench and gear wisdom, and putting up with me. But seriously, very good info here thanks, and again. Pictures suck, there from a phone and I am still learning this stuff so, yeah you can tell I'm sure.

post-6348-1224217612.jpg

post-6348-1224217168.jpg

Edited by lather

:welcome:

Good to hear your lurking has paid off. Thanks for joining us and feel free to make your precence known if you have input on other topics. I have found my pathy to be reliable and I think that if you've got everything up to snuff and continue routine maintenace you may find the same. I believe neglect and abuse from previous owners is what leads to most the problems ppl have with the older nissans.

Did someone call??

I am a new guy from Northern California, I am a machinist, and fisherman

Damn, that almost sounds like me, but I haven't been fishing in ages...

Welcome (officially) to NPORA!!! Thanks for the thanks and thank you for the introduction. Mind if I ask you where in North Ca you are? Santa Rosa here...

I recently acquired a 87 pathy lawn ornament

You know you are hereby officially required to mount a garden gnome on your Pathy, even if it is not plainly visible? Just nod and say yes. Hey, put two on it and when you talk about your truck, you can drop the line "Yeah, and I'm running dual gnomes". Then you can pop the hood and prove it!! :D

With a little bit of luck/maintenance (and timing belt) it is quite possible your Pathy will run longer than you think. Some character in the south bay had over 500,000 miles on his.

Anyway, don't be a stranger, the more the merrier!!

(did I just say that and sound like a freakin greeting card)?

B

Well thanks for the welcome everyone. I am glad to be here, I am learning and slowly ironing out the small stuff in my ride. I know this is an "off road association", but I am happily keeping ye old pathy on road. Now that I'm a member I spose I don't have to steal anymore, And the 500,000 miles guy! wholly crap. That's given yotas a run for the money, fo-sho! (how the heck? origional motor and drivetrain? ) If mine makes 300,000 miles I will mount it on a pedestal....on my lawn...with a gnome in the cockpit, and one ridin' shotgun for good measure. If it adds a half a horse power, I'd give a gnome or two a fair shot.:) oh, and I'm in Grass Valley, 95945. Kinda between Reno and Sacramento. Them thar foothills. And Mr.Precise1 sir, with all do respect, you really should go fishing more.

I know this is an "off road association", but I am happily keeping ye old pathy on road.

Most people do. We tend towards off road modifications, but DD (Daily Driver) mods are just as common. Not everyone is into hard core off road or can afford 2 vehicles, 1 being a serious wheeler. It's all good.

And the 500,000 miles guy! wholly crap. That's given yotas a run for the money, fo-sho! (how the heck? origional motor and drivetrain? )

Yes, I believe all he ever did (at the stealership) was the recommended service intervals (12 timing belts included). I guess they weren't kidding about them...

I'm in Grass Valley

I know the area, used to live in Lincoln and was looking to move to Auburn a few years back. Say Hi to Darren McCullah (SP?) if you know him.

Mr.Precise1 sir, with all do respect, you really should go fishing more.

First off, drop the sir crap and just call me B.

Second, you are right. I don't have all the nice lakes and streams nearby like you do and I got way too caught up in 'being productive'. Perhaps if I'm up that way you could show me a nice spot? :beer:

B

Machinists Unite! :crossedwires: Welcome. Sounds like I need to take a vacation and do some fishing. I really need to get an Oregon fishing liscense. All of this water around and hardly go fishing. Maybe I should see how the fishing is in Cali..

Edited by silverlion

Not everyone is into hard core off road or can afford 2 vehicles, 1 being a serious wheeler. It's all good.

I am not a serious wheeler I suppose, but I need the 4wd in the winter, and sometimes dodging jack-asses in the snow gets fairly serious....stupidity is so contagious (no offense to jack-asses who can fricken negotiate their situation)

I don't have all the nice lakes and streams nearby like you do and I got way too caught up in 'being productive'. Perhaps if I'm up that way you could show me a nice spot?

If you get up this way man, drop me a line. I know some fine pristine places and mostly down xx-miles of bad road..the Sierra Trek, Thousand Lakes Trail, all my backyard. kinda.

Say Hi to Darren McCullah (SP?) if you know him.

I don't know your guy, but it's a small world so If I meet him, I will.

After reading all the stories about pathys and hardbodys, I am inspired to do my own longevity test, 'mantainenece schedule' ,swap out timing belt, water pump, and normal tune up & lube whatnot. It was mama owned and city driven, so if I maintain and drive in the conditions for which this ride seems to target for, I think it's a fair test...ish

Machinists Unite! :crossedwires: Welcome. Sounds like I need to take a vacation and do some fishing. I really need to get an Oregon fishing liscense. All of this water around and hardly go fishing. Maybe I should see how the fishing is in Cali..

Hell yes. Machinists are a dying breed my friend, a little unity is a rare thing. And if I had my druthers, I'd rather fish up in your stomping grounds. Salmon ban here(regional), and usual CA gestapo limitations, and report cards...but I am a good boy, and pay out the butt for my license, and follow the rules. Out of curiosity, as far as machining goes, do you have a specialized area of expertise, or machinist as in machinist. I personally manage,(program, setup,babysit,un-f*&K) a small dpt for 4-axis turning centers. It is indeed an honest living. (Lather as in nickname given to lathe dpt fearless leader by felonious crew members, not as in one who foams at the mouth. Usually)

Out of curiosity, as far as machining goes, do you have a specialized area of expertise, or machinist as in machinist. I personally manage,(program, setup,babysit,un-f*&K) a small dpt for 4-axis turning centers. It is indeed an honest living. (Lather as in nickname given to lathe dpt fearless leader by felonious crew members, not as in one who foams at the mouth. Usually)

LOL, I can't tell you what my nick name was when I supervised the weekend shift at a job shop. CNC Milling and turning was what I did there (Matsuura, Kitamura, Mori-Seiki, Nakamura-Tome, Miano, Citizen, etc...) with the same duties as you (do what it takes to keep things running). LMAO about the felonious crew, isn't that the truth!! I called mine the Dirty Dozen (12-18 crew usually) as I always seemed to get the rejects, dropouts, flunkies and whoever else the other two shift supervisors didn't want. I even bailed one guy out of jail so he could come in the next day and keep his machine running... :D

Now I just do diamond turning (Programming, fixturing, set up, run, metrology, etc), I'm a 1 man department. I can hold my own on a bridgeport/hardinge or surface grinder though... :shrug:

Here is some more info.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19187

If you get up this way man, drop me a line. I know some fine pristine places and mostly down xx-miles of bad road..the Sierra Trek, Thousand Lakes Trail, all my backyard. kinda.

Sounds cool!! I used to do some fishing up Forrestville way and back in the mountains off of Cisco Grove on HWY 80.

B

Alright, this is getting way to sappy! Just kidding.....WELCOME TO NPORA! Nice to see new people actually do research via NPORA before they post.....

I'm an R50 owner (1996-2004 Pathfinders) so i can't help much, but i know everyone would love to see some more photos.

Again WELCOME!

Alright, this is getting way to sappy! Just kidding.....WELCOME TO NPORA! Nice to see new people actually do research via NPORA before they post.....

I'm an R50 owner (1996-2004 Pathfinders) so i can't help much, but i know everyone would love to see some more photos.

Again WELCOME!

Thanx again, I think I got a question brewing thats not readily answered by search button, so I can get down to something with some grease and busted knuckles, Thanx all.

Most of my background is with CNC mills (vert& horiz), manual Mills and Lathes. Tool making, workholding design, prototyping,Etc. I was a foreman in Texas for 6 of the 11+ years I worked there. Lead at Mooney Airplane, and now a supervisor for a company that processes ceramics for the electronics industry. I miss working with exotic metals. Why is everyone scared of Inconel? The shop I started at was a fledgling company with old screw machines and 4 employees. We grew to over 60 with all state of the art equipment. The owner fell down his stairs at home and is now a vegetable. His wife sold the company to a dude in the food business. He ran it into the ground within 2 years. I went to mooney's a few months before the company shut down. It was hard to grow with a company and watch someone destroy in right in front of you.

I miss working with exotic metals. Why is everyone scared of Inconel?

I hear you!! Carpenter 49, Kovar, Invar, HiMu 80, tungsten copper, telurium copper, Tantilum (sp), etc... All the stuff other people can't/don't want to deal with.

The owner fell down his stairs at home and is now a vegetable. His wife sold the company to a dude in the food business. He ran it into the ground within 2 years. I went to mooney's a few months before the company shut down. It was hard to grow with a company and watch someone destroy in right in front of you.

That's just wrong in so many ways!! Yeah, I was a supervisor at a job shop for years. The new owners (bought it just ebfore I started) were purchasing agents with no clue about machining. They thought it was a 'turn key' business and all they had to do was show up and collect the $. :rolleyes:

I went to their closing auction... In a technical field, there is NO substitute for technical knowledge! Too bad they just thought we were all DFMs. (Dumb Farking Machinists) :shrug:

B