Engine whirring noise?

moto-m

For the last few days now I have a whirring noise coming from my engine. It is fairly loud and easy to notice that something isn't right. It gets louder as the engine revs hire and seems to have been getting worse since I first noticed it. I would describe it as sounding like something that is out of balance spinning fast or like a bad bearing.

I let my father (engineer) listen to it and at first he seemed to think of it as a bad idler pulley, but then he was leaning toward the timing belt or water pump. I hope this is not the case since I paid for a full timing belt/water pump service at 105,000 miles (now have 125,000 miles). I am questioning if I really got what I paid for. Anybody have any ideas what the noise could be? Thanks.

Hard to tell by your description, but perhaps a power steering pump? Have you checked the fluid? I've got a bit of a new noise similar to your description coming from my PS :shrug: . Just a thought. good luck.

Pete

Hard to tell by your description, but perhaps a power steering pump? Have you checked the fluid? I've got a bit of a new noise similar to your description coming from my PS :shrug: . Just a thought. good luck.

Pete

Fluid level is fine.

Maybe alternator bearing?

My father had the same kind of bearing-like whirring noise when we bought it and it turned out to be the harmonic balancer, as the Nissan mechanic explained to us, there is a rubber insert inside of the assembly and when it wears out it starts to make noise, and it can fly apart. For us it was done under warranty.

Edited by redfinder