changed out the bulbs in the QX4 gauge cluster (pics)

FUELER

Ok, so I have new and potentially important (from an electrical point of view) info.

Asked about the bulbs at Nissan dealer today (was there for some other stuff). There are TWO different instrument bulb types for the 03 Pathfinder.

The Brown Base for the Turn Signals and Full Beam uses a 74 Bulb but is rated at 1.4 W

The Black Base for everything else is rated at 3 W.

Luckily he had a pair of Black Base ones in stock. I took a look and, amazingly, the bulbs detached from the socket easily.

BlackBaseBulbs.jpg

Bizarrely, the Brown Base costs $18 (dealer price) and the Black Base $5. Both with bulbs!

I bought 6!

Maybe this is why that guys board started smoking ? He overloaded the bulbs or something ? I don't know. I guess it doesn't matter as much with LEDs (which are low power draw anyway) but may be important for incandescents.

Are you guys familiar with the 03 and 04 SE gauge cluster? it has a silver gauges with weak green lighting and an orange needle. It's fine in the day, but not very attractive at night. After reading this I was thinking about putting some brighter white or blue or red led's in. Has anyone modded the 03-04 SE?

GPG,

In total, how many bulbs did you use for the gauge cluster? 4? And for the bulb that you purchased from autoillumination, is there a specific number to it? Or simply 5-led bulb?

Thanks

Hi,

I ended up using 2 bulbs. One behind the Speedo and one behind the Tach. Autolumination just calls 'em 5-LED bulbs. So far, no probs at all. SuperBrightLEDs.com also has 3-LED bulbs that are almost but not quite as bright.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

• 3 months later...

I know I'm resurrecting an older thread, but this information is great! I replaced the 4 gauge cluster bulbs last night with the blue Autolumination 74's and it looks good!

Question: how many bulbs do I need for the HVAC controls on a '98 Pathy? I'm referring to the area above the stereo with three knobs: Fan, Temp and Vent direction. The lighting there is really dull and while there's mention of the HVAC controls in this thread, I don't see any confirmation that they are a) #74 bulbs and B) how many replacement bulbs it would need. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Al

Edited by ascdesigns

I wouldn't say resurrect, I just recently bought the bulbs to do the main cluster and accessed this thread myself.

I have not installed them yet, but I got the Autolumination 5 led bulbs for the cluster...in white.

They also sold me a set of 7443 front turn/parking bulbs for the front...19 or 20 something LED, not really that bright for the cost. Could have got those from that dude on eBay from HK.(Warden something). His bulbs are awesome and don't take long to ship either...measurements here is the key. I would like to get 9 single 194s for the third brake light to finish converting all the OE lighting to LED but thats a small fortune!

I picked up the LED resistor/rectifyer at Autozone for way less (12.99).