Rust breaks my heart

dhardison

I went to maaco today to retrieve the 95 XE and they really did a fantastic job straightening all the door dings and repainting both sides. Especially considering the price and how hard it is to paint black. Looking it over I found a rust spot in the driver back door jam at the base of the wheelwell. I didn’t pick it up, instead I negotiated a price to patch it and repaint the rocker panel. I also did a closer inspection on the frame and there is some flaking surface rust on the drivers frame rail. I hate it that I missed this when I was checking it out before I bought it. It’s not nearly as bad as some I looked at that were so bad I could almost poke my finger through the frame, but it is unsettling. Then I did something I should have done before I bought it and ran a carfax on it. Turns out it spent it’s first 5 years in Buffalo New York so I’m sure this didn’t help the situation. I live in Tennessee so I’m not used to having to deal with a lot of rust issues.

It all breaks my heart. The 95 is the one with the absolute mint condition interior. From the drivers footwell carpet, to the door panels, the drivers seat bolster, everywhere you look this Path is absolutely perfect inside. It just makes you feel good setting in the drivers seat and looking around. Kinda like being in a time machine that you dialed back to 1995. I don’t even know how somebody could do it. In 5 years of ownership on the Z I haven’t been able to keep my interior that perfect and my car leads a pampered life in the garage, well cosmetically anyway. I do drive it like a Z and have the drivers license points to prove it lol.

So I’ll keep the 93 SE with it’s thick folder of service records, and it's boatload of options that all still work, and sell the 95 but I really wanted to keep them both.

93path.jpg350z.jpg

Trucks shouldn't have carpets anyway. Rubber mats maybe, but not carpet.

Sounds like your rust issue isn't too bad either. I'm sorry that you're disappointed. I was too when I found the flaking on my frame.

But, there are guys here making the best of a lot worse.

I consider myself lucky at this point.

I'll keep trying to control what I can and, when it finally gets so bad that I can't enjoy my truck, I'll either buy new one (Xtrera probably) or put a new frame under it...

$2700 isn't too much to ask for another 20 years of service, I think.

It all breaks my heart. The 95 is the one with the absolute mint condition interior. From the drivers footwell carpet, to the door panels, the drivers seat bolster, everywhere you look this Path is absolutely perfect inside. It just makes you feel good setting in the drivers seat and looking around. Kinda like being in a time machine that you dialed back to 1995. I don’t even know how somebody could do it. In 5 years of ownership on the Z I haven’t been able to keep my interior that perfect and my car leads a pampered life in the garage, well cosmetically anyway. I do drive it like a Z and have the drivers license points to prove it lol.

That's how mine is too. The interiors on these trucks are pretty tough. I also have a 93 and a 95, love them both. I love my time machines to the 90's hahah

Like was said, it doesn't sound THAT bad, and if the rest if the truck is immaculate, why sell it? Get to work arresting any problem areas and keep your jem.

My first 95 came from Rustchester, NY for the first two years of it's life. light/scattered Surface rust only.

The second 95 Came from Philly, PA for the first 9 months. Virtually no rust, minor trim spots.

Expecting to find a absolutely perfect 13 year old truck that is still reasonably priced will take you a LONG time...

B