How long should exhaust repair last

dhardison

I received a huge folder from the orginal owner of my 1993 SE V6 when I purchased the vehicle Saturday. I finally had time to set down and review all the contents today. Among the stack of Nissan dealer service receiptsgoing all the way back to new were a couple showing extended warrenty replacement of several broken studs and the right exhaust manifold around 45,000 miles, duh go figure. Now my question is this my truck has 176,000 miles now so do you think that intial repair fixed the problem for good? Is there a chance that the same thing can happen again. Everything seems to be quiet at this time. There was also a receipt with a one year warrenty for an $1800.00 tranny rebuild at 173,000 miles but the seller told me this. I was wondering if the right exhaust manifold has to come off for an automatic tranny rebuild? Should I recheck the bolts if the transmission shop did remove it? It was rebuilt by a national chain so I'm not sure if they would know to use caution when dealing with the exhaust studs. Any advice the group would like to share would be appreciated.

Edited by dhardison

If the correct replacement studs were used, the repair should last indefinitely. The original studs were... inadequate...

My attitude is if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

No as far as I know, the manifolds do not need to be touched to pull the autotranny.

B

the crossover pipe might get removed, and the exhaust hanger that mounts to the tranny will be removed(possibly w/ the cat) when the tranny is pulled. but @ a minimum just unbloting the hanger and it can be dropped. Running a higher flowing cat (I reccoment magnaflow) will reduce EGT's and make your studs last even longer. not letting the engine overheat will also protect them better.

If the correct replacement studs were used, the repair should last indefinitely. The original studs were... inadequate...

B

Basically,... when were they changed? IIRC the spec wasn't changed until the mid 90s on the replacement stud types. Until then, they just swapped the same as original in, which eventually break again for the same reason that the originals broke.

Basically,... when were they changed? IIRC the spec wasn't changed until the mid 90s on the replacement stud types. Until then, they just swapped the same as original in, which eventually break again for the same reason that the originals broke.

The studs and right manifold were changed in March of 1996 during the regular 45,000 mile service. "Customer states noisy exhaust" Paid for by Nissan under what appears to be an extension of the factory warranty to 50,000 miles for that specific problem.

Edited by dhardison

I doubt they would, but do they list the part numbers for the studs that were put in?

You should be set, they should be the better quality ones which do not break.

The stud part numbers they used are NI14065-V5003 6 on the passenger side 2 on the driver side

The right side manifold part number is NI14004-12GO2

This girl saved every piece of documentation from day one it's almost unbelievable.

I really appreciate all the help you are giving me. That's always the great thing about the Nissan forums. THANK YOU

Edited by dhardison