Whirrrr...clunk, clunk, whirrrrr

2TrakMind

I'm driving a 95 Pathy, manual trans, and 31's, completely stock other than the tires. On my way home the other day, driving about 60mph on paved, country roads (read, bumpy). Suddenly there was a loud whirrrrrring noise from the front end. As I slowed to stop, the whirrr turned to clunk, clunk, and I felt the clunk in the front end. It felt to me like the 4wd was trying to engage or something. I got out to investigate, but didn't figure I could see anything...and I didn't. I got back in and again at about 10-15 MPH, the clunk, clunk started again. I stopped again, shifted in to 4-Hi, began driving slowly and shifted back to 2-Hi and the problem went away. Then today, I drove about 15 miles without any noise. Later, I went to get gas and again, clunk, clunk. I poked around the forum here and have deduced that it is to do with my auto hubs. Would y'all concur? If so, what would you recommend? Switch to manual hubs? If so again, do I need to buy the hubs as well as the conversion kit?

Also, is it possible to remove the auto hubs and drive the vehicle while I wait for my parts to come?

-Thanks!

Edited by 2TrakMind

There is no "conversion kit", just new hubs. If you want to remove them till you get new ones the safest thing would be to pull the autos off, then pull the guts out of it(including pulling the snap ring and removing the part on the stub shaft, replace the snap ring afterward) and bolt the outer cover piece back on to keep the stub shaft and bearings clean.

There is no "conversion kit", just new hubs. If you want to remove them till you get new ones the safest thing would be to pull the autos off, then pull the guts out of it(including pulling the snap ring and removing the part on the stub shaft, replace the snap ring afterward) and bolt the outer cover piece back on to keep the stub shaft and bearings clean.

Thanks GrimGreg. The reason I ask about a conversion kit is because I've seen an auto to manual conversion kit on a few sights. One site has this statement; "When Replacing Factory Automatic Hubs With Manual Hubs, You Must Also Purchase Spindle Nut Conversion Kit #29918 (Except For ADD)." Any idea what that means?