LSD questions

v6engine

I swapped my open diff. for an LSD years back. The diff is acting funny and making noise when I make turns and

when I back up. Since I made the swap I never change the oil but I was sure the oil container said that it was OK for

LSD (don't remember the brand). I change the oil today it looks ok, the magnet has some build up. The vehicle still

behaves the same as always. I have good knowledge about the benefits of an LSD but not much beyond that.

My questions are this: Can a knowledgeable member tell me what will really happen should someone put non LSD oil

into an LSD diff?

Beside wear, what can cause the banging feeling I feel when I make turns?

Does someone know an effective oil for the task (I used PEPboys stuff)?

My vehicle: 90XE, 2WD, almost 300K, light off roading.

I searched the forum first, the results are quite inadequate.

I had the local Merlins change my diff fluid about a month ago and when I got it back it was doing the same things. Clunks in revers and during slow turns. I took it back and they "added more additive" and it works great now. Btw, this is on a 95 SE 4x4 manual.

Dont know if this helps at all but...

I just changed the rear LSD fluid. I put in Lucas 80w-90 which said it was suitable for LSD. So far no problems, noises, etc but then that was 200 miles ago...

I don't know if the friction plates will slip or grab due to lack of the additive. :shrug:

B