LSD for All-Mode?

MountainGoat

I've got a 2004 with All-Mode 4wd that is less than impressive in the snow (some of this may be due to the VDC). I was wondering if I could drop a Nissan LSD in the rear axle (not much help, I know) or is it not a compatible axle? I considered putting an ARB in, but thats a little overkill, and a locker in the snow is not always good. Also, I seem to remember that an Xterra LSD is a little "tighter" and may also fit in some Pathys?

Thanks,

Steve

I've got a 2004 with All-Mode 4wd that is less than impressive in the snow (some of this may be due to the VDC). I was wondering if I could drop a Nissan LSD in the rear axle (not much help, I know) or is it not a compatible axle? I considered putting an ARB in, but thats a little overkill, and a locker in the snow is not always good. Also, I seem to remember that an Xterra LSD is a little "tighter" and may also fit in some Pathys?

Thanks,

Steve

My 2001 All-Mode has a LSD. Just make sure it's the same ratio. They came with more than one gear ratio IIRC.

My 02 Chilkoot, with AllMode, had the factory LSD. So should not be an issue. But good tires are a must for snow, I had no issues using my studded Traction Kings:

IMG_0278.jpg

The beast would push snow with the bumper uphill on some of the logging rds around here I used for work.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm pretty sure the LSD was an option on the American models with All-Mode, and it's not listed on the sticker, nor does it appear to have one when you turn the rear tires. The tires are Yokohama ATS and they are good all around tires.

I guess my question was whether this rear axle (2004, auto, LE, All-Mode) is the same axle as other Pathy's with the LSD, so that it would only be a drop-in of a factory LSD. I think by the later models they were using only one axle ratio, but I may be mistaken.

Steve

I'm pretty sure the LSD was an option on the American models with All-Mode, and it's not listed on the sticker, nor does it appear to have one when you turn the rear tires. The tires are Yokohama ATS and they are good all around tires.

I guess my question was whether this rear axle (2004, auto, LE, All-Mode) is the same axle as other Pathy's with the LSD, so that it would only be a drop-in of a factory LSD. I think by the later models they were using only one axle ratio, but I may be mistaken.

Steve

As far as I know its the same axle but there is a difference in the Third member for LSD and Non LSD. So if you were to put in an LSD you would have to get a whole new third (I believe). Also on a side note how do you like those tires, I have been looking at getting some for my ride, what size are you running?

I believe for the 00-04 R50's the SE model got the 4.6 gears...the type of gears you have should be on a metal plate on the passenger side of the engine bay (i believe on the firewall)...HGxx is your gears...

I wish mike, but mine is an 04 SE and is a 4.3, I also belive that this was the only gear ratio available in this year range of pathy's but I could be wrong

As far as I know its the same axle but there is a difference in the Third member for LSD and Non LSD. So if you were to put in an LSD you would have to get a whole new third (I believe). Also on a side note how do you like those tires, I have been looking at getting some for my ride, what size are you running?

I wish mike, but mine is an 04 SE and is a 4.3, I also belive that this was the only gear ratio available in this year range of pathy's but I could be wrong

Well I am sorry to hear that, I got lucky enough to get 4.6's in my 97 SE...and didn't you have the geolanders on your old R50?

I've got the 4.3 gears, and I'm guessing the spline count remained the same in the later years. I "think" the LSD is a drop-in at this point, but I'm going to call around first to make sure before I take the third member out.

The tires are Yoko Geolander ATS in 265/65/17 and have been good in all conditions and are relatively quiet. They are only "OK" in the snow, though, but I'm not convinced it's more of the All-Mode than the tires, and/or the lack of an LSD, as the tires have an excellent reputation in the snow. I had two other r50's, one with 5spd, one with an auto, both with the std transfer case and LSD. Both those Pathy's were excellent in the snow and I see a lot of it living at 7,400' in Colorado.

I may need to try driving more with the VDC off, since I think it's "magic" may be part of the issue. It's not reassuring to turn and brake in the snow, and hear the transfer case and ABS cycling, and end up in a controlled slide. This may be good for inexperienced drivers so they don't spin out, but it's a little too much interference for me.

Anyone else noticed this in All-Mode?

Steve

I've got the 4.3 gears, and I'm guessing the spline count remained the same in the later years. I "think" the LSD is a drop-in at this point, but I'm going to call around first to make sure before I take the third member out.

The tires are Yoko Geolander ATS in 265/65/17 and have been good in all conditions and are relatively quiet. They are only "OK" in the snow, though, but I'm not convinced it's more of the All-Mode than the tires, and/or the lack of an LSD, as the tires have an excellent reputation in the snow. I had two other r50's, one with 5spd, one with an auto, both with the std transfer case and LSD. Both those Pathy's were excellent in the snow and I see a lot of it living at 7,400' in Colorado.

I may need to try driving more with the VDC off, since I think it's "magic" may be part of the issue. It's not reassuring to turn and brake in the snow, and hear the transfer case and ABS cycling, and end up in a controlled slide. This may be good for inexperienced drivers so they don't spin out, but it's a little too much interference for me.

Anyone else noticed this in All-Mode?

Steve

i would look into junk yards, i believe the rear axle assembly on your year R50 is the same as an earlier model, and I think the LSD was more prevalent on older ones...

The 4.6 gear stopped being offered somwhere along with the inception of the VQ int the R50. SammyB and I swapped my gears to 4.6's and really, there is a noticable difference.

Basically, I have added more load on the engine with the lift and 265/75/16 REVO's, and the swap from 4.3 to 4.6 made those differences disappear! I am quite satisfied...likwise I know that the LSD is only worth so much, however I get traction now rather than being able to fry the one tire!!