uhh new puppy...whats right

unccpathfinder

so...i'm living with a dude and his family...the wife and kids have wnated a dog for 8 months...tonight they find a puppy & bring it home and feed it (think it had intestinal worms) i have no clue what it is...but my buddy doesnt wnat a dog...i do...and the rest of the folks do...so i'm willing to try and save it within budget to save it and i know if its mine the kids and wife (and friend) will be happy...

so they brought it home and put it in the living room and it @!*%s and pisses in my room...no problem for me (its like 10 weeks old from what i can tell) so i tell it to come and it comes and i tell it to lay in its new home made bed and it goes and lays down in what i laid for it....and with my current relationship situation a dog would be good...

so do i keep it or let it go...heres some pix

DSCN3350.jpg

DSCN3356.jpg

DSCN3357.jpg

check out its belly...

th_DSCN3353.jpg

i want a dog but i dont know if this is what i want...but i think i will take it to the vet and get a check tomrrow but so far its a good dog...

Everyone in that house needs to be onboard with having a dog, if that's indeed what's decided. Or else get rid of it, and give it to someone who can raise it properly. They're not commodities. What do you mean they "found" a dog? Was it from a shelter? How do you know it "had" intestinal worms? Did you de-worm it? Do you have any records on it what so ever?

Having a dog is like having a child and from what you wrote, it sounds as if not too many people there have the slightest idea of the commitment that's required to raise one. Of course it's going to sh!t all over itself and wherever else it wants...by the looks if it I'd say 10 weeks is a generous guess. I'm all for you "saving" it within your budget...but...your budget needs to be prepared to be poured into this thing if that's what's necessary. I say again, if you can't do that, you need to give it to someone who can. My yellow lab last christmas managed to swallow half a towel and get it wrapped around her intestine. We only noticed something was wrong because she couldn't stop vomiting. Then sepsis set in (blood poisoning) because where it was wrapped began to swell badly and became infected. She ended up needing blood transfusions and major surgery, as well as a piece of her large intestine removed. This was over Christmas keep in mind while we were suppossed to be traveling to see family in Connecticut. All in all set us back over $6000.00 dollars to the only 24 hour emergency clinic in the area (our vet was closed) That was a very hard setback for us financially, but luckily we had it and didn't have to go in debt for it. We now carry insurance for her, but at the time we didn't. I mean, who would ever think something like that could happen? You need to think long and hard about your budget and be prepared, if necessary, to drain it.

Sorry this came off as harsh man. I am completely all for dogs going to good homes and if that dog you have was a rescue or stray, more power too you. I volunteer in a shelter though and see the worst of the worst people come in with returned dogs on a daily basis for the absolute LAMEST reasons. There's some people in this world that shouldn't have the right to raise anything else that's living, much less raise a dog. This is why I say, they are not commodities. It's not easy, it's expensive, it's frustrating and tiring. That's why I cannot emphasize enough...if you are not 100% on board, as is EVERYONE else in that house you're living in, you need to get rid of the dog and give it to someone that who can give it the attention and training it's going to require.

On the other hand, he's a good looking boy! He looks like a pit pix, is that right? Looks like he's gonna be a big one!

Edited by navygz19

Everyone in that house needs to be onboard with having a dog, if that's indeed what's decided. Or else get rid of it, and give it to someone who can raise it properly. They're not commodities. What do you mean they "found" a dog? Was it from a shelter? How do you know it "had" intestinal worms? Did you de-worm it? Do you have any records on it what so ever?

Having a dog is like having a child and from what you wrote, it sounds as if not too many people there have the slightest idea of the commitment that's required to raise one. Of course it's going to sh!t all over itself and wherever else it wants...by the looks if it I'd say 10 weeks is a generous guess. I'm all for you "saving" it within your budget...but...your budget needs to be prepared to be poured into this thing if that's what's necessary. I say again, if you can't do that, you need to give it to someone who can. My yellow lab last christmas managed to swallow half a towel and get it wrapped around her intestine. We only noticed something was wrong because she couldn't stop vomiting. Then sepsis set in (blood poisoning) because where it was wrapped began to swell badly and became infected. She ended up needing blood transfusions and major surgery, as well as a piece of her large intestine removed. This was over Christmas keep in mind while we were suppossed to be traveling to see family in Connecticut. All in all set us back over $6000.00 dollars to the only 24 hour emergency clinic in the area (our vet was closed) That was a very hard setback for us financially, but luckily we had it and didn't have to go in debt for it. We now carry insurance for her, but at the time we didn't. I mean, who would ever think something like that could happen? You need to think long and hard about your budget and be prepared, if necessary, to drain it.

Sorry this came off as harsh man. I am completely all for dogs going to good homes and if that dog you have was a rescue or stray, more power too you. I volunteer in a shelter though and see the worst of the worst people come in with returned dogs on a daily basis for the absolute LAMEST reasons. There's some people in this world that shouldn't have the right to raise anything else that's living, much less raise a dog. This is why I say, they are not commodities. It's not easy, it's expensive, it's frustrating and tiring. That's why I cannot emphasize enough...if you are not 100% on board, as is EVERYONE else in that house you're living in, you need to get rid of the dog and give it to someone that who can give it the attention and training it's going to require.

On the other hand, he's a good looking boy! He looks like a pit pix, is that right? Looks like he's gonna be a big one!

x2 :clap:

Gotta agree with the other posters....but I got to ask why your buddy would be okay with you keeping the dog but not the family.. also you say that you are bumming a room, do you have a place of your own...or do you plan on staying with this fam for a while.

Not always a good idea to have pets when you haven't got a place of you own, what about obedience training..are you prepared for that....it's a lot of work and should definitely be a requirement with dog ownership.

Good Luck with whatever you decide. Have a couple dogs myself.

sweet it resolved itself... the wife came in here and was like if you want to keep it you can but we talked last night and i don't htink its a good idea for us to keep it right now...and i was like sweet i want a dog but im working all the time so its not fair to the dog or you who would have to keep it for me during the day...

pretty good dog though...it slept until about 10 mins ago when I got up and never made any noise all night long...

sweet it resolved itself... the wife came in here and was like if you want to keep it you can but we talked last night and i don't htink its a good idea for us to keep it right now...and i was like sweet i want a dog but im working all the time so its not fair to the dog or you who would have to keep it for me during the day...

pretty good dog though...it slept until about 10 mins ago when I got up and never made any noise all night long...

Glad to hear it ironed itself out...and he's a good sleeper too (mine sure wasn't!) It's hard to give something like that up, especially when you want one so bad. We waited 4.5 years before getting Chloe until the timing was right.

well they want me to get a dog so I can foot all the bills and their kids can have one to play with...i still periodically go get the ex gf's dog and bring her over so they kids can play with her and they ask me quite frequently to bring the dog over to play...but we found a home for it today b/c the guy was having to put one of his pitts down b/c it was getting old...everyone says this one is a blue nosed pitt but it didnt really look like a pitt to me but then again i don't know what dogs look like as puppies

The ex came over and played with the puppy and took my buddies wife and the dog over to its new home so it's a good thing that that is over...its the 3rd freakin dog that has showed up here since i've been living here...their kids were sad when it left but I think its best especially since the landlord called up and said "uhh i'm selling the house so you guys got to get out soon" so i took that as it's going into foreclosure so I guess I need to figure out if i'm staying west coast or heading back east for sure now