Stupid power windows...

2001Pathy

Anyone encountered this problem...? Drivers side power window has quit on a 87 Finder I am looking to buy. Its been diving, slipping and slowing down for the last 3/4 years I guess.

- How would I know if the motor is shot?

- Is there a way to eliminate the power option and go to a manual crank?

Its not a big deal really....Just lookin to see if there is an easy fix

Edited by 2001Pathy

IMO manual windows never seem to fail. If this is you 1st gen pathy were talking about you might find a manual window from an older JY pathy or HB I think it should just swap over.

as far as power windows go I have replaced both of mine; the problem (both times) was that there is a nylon slider on top the window track that a cable goes thru to pull the window up. every time the window is used the slide gets worn down by the cable untill 15-20 years down the road it starts dragging and then it breaks. when it does the motor eats up the extra slack (since it is nolonger being held up by the slide), gets tangled and jams. If you keep trying to work it the motor burns up but most replacements come with the motor anyway(pain trying to untagle and mount to new track). The dealer wanted 50 for a track and 80 for a motor to go wiht it and I belive its the same as original. I got my motor and track off e-bay for $60 and it has a pulley up top instead of a slide. the install was a tad tricky getting the window to line up with the new track while reacing arround inside the door but it runs allot smoother and I doubt it will ever break again because of the pulley design.

edit: Here ya go! E-bay; CarpartsWholesale same guys I bought mine from

Edited by MY1PATH