Valves?

Nissanfreak36

I have a 1991 pathfinder xe 4x4 173,000 miles, when it idles it sounds great but when you put it in gear and go it sounds like something with a valve like its not primed. Its not exhaust but the exhaust manifold gasket on the driver side has never been changed EVER!!! but if its not that then what do yall think it could be? And i bought some lucas oil stabilizer, is it a good idea to add this on the next oil change??? Or is that a sign that the manifold gasket is about to give in??? Please let me know, Thanks.

Edited by Nissanfreak36

The exhaust gasket is not normally the part that fails it's the exhaust manifold itself in addition to one or more of the exhaust manifold studs. Normally you can see carbon/soot where the exhasut manifold has failed. You may have to remove some of the heat shileds from the exhaust manifold if they are still present to get a good look at things. I have used Lucas' products in my pathgrinder without issue.

A trick I used to find manifold/header leaks is to pour something down the throttle body that will smoke and look around for leaks. If you haven't de-gunked your engine recently, using Seafoam as directed should produce enough smoke. If you're engine is really clean already, a bit of ATF fluid should do it.

I had my drivers side header on and off three times thinking I missed something until I did the ATF trick. Ends up it was leaking through a cap I had made to block off the bung to the AIV stuff I had removed earlier.

The exhaust gasket is not normally the part that fails it's the exhaust manifold itself in addition to one or more of the exhaust manifold studs. Normally you can see carbon/soot where the exhasut manifold has failed. You may have to remove some of the heat shileds from the exhaust manifold if they are still present to get a good look at things. I have used Lucas' products in my pathgrinder without issue.

Actually leaving a broken stud long enough will cause the gasket to eventually go, been there.