Rim swap question

BowTied

Ok, I have an stock '02 LE with the OE 17" rims. I am thinking about getting a second set of rims for winter tires. I am pretty sure that 16s or 15s will be cheaper.

I am pretty sure that 16s will fit as that is what is on Chilcookts and SEs. Will 15s fit?

Am I risking any handling/braking/ABS/AllMode4x4 issues by changing tire size? I think I should be ok as long as I am real close to the original diameter, right?

Edited by BowTied

I once test fit a set of 15" AR767's (like mine), and they fit... although, it was just a test fit so I never drove with them on.

Personally, I would want to test fit any 15" rim before I buy them if I were you. (or stick with 16's)

Ok, I think I see now. It is simply a close fit if not an interference with 15s. Fair enough, thanks.

Did pathy's ever come with steel 16s? If not, what other donors can I look for that have the same bolt pattern and back spacing? (I better look up what those are, lol).

Edited by BowTied

I tried 15's on mine no too long after i got her and they wouldnt work, the proper backspacing was such a close fit and 31's hit the fender well, i stuck with 16's and a slightly narrower tire. From what ive read im the rare case as many others seem to be just fine with the 15's. if you're looking for cheap 16's you can have the soft eights for between 50 and 80 each depending on where you get em.

I use Toyota rims for my winters, 16", they were cheaper than Nissan steelies (and yes they are available from a dealer):

Not a great shot of the wheels but they work fine.

IMG_0278.jpg

BTW, mine are now for sale if anyone in BC wants to make an offer B)

I think my spare is a steel 16"

I know some of the Xterra's came with Steelies, but I don't know if they were only 15's.

Really? I have an alloy spare. Are steel spares common?

I use Toyota rims for my winters, 16", they were cheaper than Nissan steelies (and yes they are available from a dealer):

Not a great shot of the wheels but they work fine.

IMG_0278.jpg

BTW, mine are now for sale if anyone in BC wants to make an offer B)

Cool - what are they off of, 4Runner?