Limited Slip Diff

fastskier

Hi,

I have the limited slip diff on my Pathfinder I'm pretty sure as its a 94 with the alloys, 31's and the factory adjustable shocks (comfort & sport). I am coming up to 200,000 km's - 125K miles.

Anyways I'm sure that my LSD isn't working or isn't working that well as I can spin pretty good with one tire.

1. How often should I change my fluid?

2. What fluids should I use ( I pretty sure you need a special additive for the LSD to work)?

3. If the previous owner didn't put the special additive in does that mean the clutches are toast?

4. How much is it approx to put in new clutches into the LSD?

TIA

The Nissan H233B LSD's don't work very well to begin with. If your Pathy has more than 100K miles, it'll most likely just plain be worn out. Take a look underneath your Pathfinder from the rear bumper. Look slightly to the left of the center of your axle. There should be an orange sticker denoting "LSD" applied to the axlehousing. Sometimes the stickers fall off or are covered in dirt, tho. Some SE Pathfinders didn't come with a LSD in the first place, so you'll need to verify whether or not you have one before worrying about what fluid type to use in it.

A simple test is to jack up the rear wheels only, put the transmission in neutral(engine OFF), and spin one tire. If both tires spin in the same direction, you have a limited slip diff. If they spin in opposite directions, or only one tire spins, you have an open diff.

And yes, the friction modifier additive is a good thing to put in with the gear oil when you change it. If you don't put it in, it won't necessarily hurt anything in the clutch packs, it just won't lock up as well as it might otherwise. Go by the manufacturer's reccomendations on fluid type and weight.

I looked at the rear axle & there isn't an orange sticker - rather there's a white one (or what's left of one). I did notice that there was oil coming from the plug but not enough to leak on my driveway. I'll try jacking it up and seeing if the other side spins or not to make sure that I have a LSD.

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm My experience with my LSD has been different. I have 111K miles on it and it locks very well. The Early (95 back) LSD's have a breakaway torque of like 280 ftpounds, the Xterras are about 180 BWAHAHAHAHA Hahahaha haha Whoooo

Anyway I use Amsoil 75W90 no modifier and I get plenty of lock....when parking on grass you can usually see a line where the inside tire dragged. In parking you can feel/hear the clutches slipping. The trick to keeping that lock is to not let up on the gas (or do so very slowly)

You can get clutches. Nissanparts.cc sells them for around $27 plus shipping, I don't have the part # handy tho. Your dealer can get 'em for you. I'd suggest just adding a clutch to either side over replacing them all, it'd be price as there are 5 to a side. If you just do one each it'll cost less and you'll get a hellacious lock.

The R&P's don't swap. Just the diff carrier. You need to get one from a 300ZX Turbo between 87 and 89 but NOT the all white special edition. If you're looking at a boneyard, it'll have a finned rear diff cover on it. It needs to be installed in your dif housing which means setting the gears. The gears on it are usually 3.7's

You'll see 'em on Ebay sometimes but they usually go for over $400, the ricers have deep pockets. At that price its cheaper to get one from Calmini. If you get one from a junkyard you'll need to have the locknut removed from your old diff and installed in the replacement.

There are a couple ricer sites online which mention the swap and the dates for the vehicles to yank them from, They like 'em because you can install them in the old 280 Z's and other such that never had that as an option.

I know what I need to do ...just need to save $$$ to get it done since I don't have the tools or the time to set it up.

• 1 year later...