No 4WD? Not Working!?

Skirvin

Ok, so I shift into 4Hi, (or 4Lo) and the T-case and driveshafts all work PERFECTLY. I put it up on jack-stands to see if it was spinning the front wheels or not (Yes i drove it 20 ft. to let the hubs engage like you're supposed to, THEN put it on blocks.) It was not turning the front wheels in hi or low.

For some reason my hubs (Yes, they're automatic) are not engaging. I do not think it's in the hubs themselves, but rather between the wheel and the driveshaft; inside the boot somehow. I heard something about the "spider assembly" or something. Anyone know what i mean?

Any advice is helpful, can i fix this at home, if so, how, or do i need to take it to a shop or something? (tools are not an issue for me) Thanks a lot for anyone who took the time to read this.

OK! GOOD NEWS, i took apart the hubs, and it turns out that there's a spring that goes in there, on top of the o-ring, underneath a part called "Brake A", well, some dummy put the spring in the worng place. it was on top of brake A. SO, I fixed both of em, they're basicall brand new, so no need to replace them. Thanks for all your help guys!

Edited by Skirvin

If everything along the drivetrain is working and you can verify that visually, I'd highly doubt the shafts went bad... you should see some damage at the boots, especially on the outer side at the wheels. Have you taken apart the auto hubs? They're pretty easy to disassemble and check with the wheels off, they very well could be toast. There should be stickies on them if I remember right, but if not, post up and I can get you the manual pages. If you are end up having to replace them, go ahead and get aftermarket manual ones (Warn, Milemarket, etc.) just to be on the safe side. Thery're much stronger (although I'm still rocking my auto's after 165K miles!). ;)

have someone check out the CV's...its possibly the auto hubs that are bad...if the cvs are turning then its the hubs...make sure the screws are still good for the shifter for 4wd...b/c i seriously doubt the TC went out without you noticing

I have a complete set of good working auto hubs if you are interested and if you find yours to be trash.

IIRC, Don't the auto hubs engage the CV shafts all the time? If you raise the front wheels and spin them by hand as if they're rolling forward the CV shafts should turn as well. If they don't, you're hubs aren't engaging. At least that's how it works with manual hubs.

I have a complete set of good working auto hubs if you are interested and if you find yours to be trash.

I'm interested, how much you wanna seel em for? and where do you live so i know how much shipping will be. haha. But for real, i might have to buy em.

have someone check out the CV's...its possibly the auto hubs that are bad...if the cvs are turning then its the hubs...make sure the screws are still good for the shifter for 4wd...b/c i seriously doubt the TC went out without you noticing

What is "CV" an abbreviation for? and yeah, i had my dad drive it in 4WD while i looked at the half-shafts, and they were spinning. My T-case is still almost brand new! The previous owner(s) barely used the 4WD, if at all.

"CV" stands for constant velocity, however it is used to refer to the joint ends of the half-shafts. Some people call the half shafts; CV axels, CV shafts, etc.

If the previous owner never used the 4wd, you might want to give the entire system a once over. Non-use can cause a lot more issues than regular use.