Swapin in a lower mileage VG30E

racerdave

So I have my manuals out and I have been reading.

I picked up a newer 95 VG30E (111k miles) to replace my 92 that has 330k miles on it.

It is a 92 XE auto 4x4.

I know lots of people on here have replaced the engine, I was just wondering if there is anything that makes this easier?

Its straight forward in the book, but I find when I follow the book, there were always quicker/easier ways to do things...

I have about a week to do the swap, its not my main source of transportation so thats not a big deal.

Any helpful advice?

The book tells me to drop the front diff, unbolt the tranny, and take the engine out.

Well, not just that, but in that fashion. I am a little worried my engine hoist is not going to be able to pick it that high....

Can I take off the wheels and set the front on jack stands so the pathy sits a little lower?

Also, can anyone direct me to a good place to buy a set of headers, I want to do that while the motor is out.

These should help, I'll drop in links when I remember/find them.

Honestly, the search function would garner you a wealth of information.

I have not swapped motors so I can not relate personal experience.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19168

B

i think summit racing and autoanyting sell Thorley headders (I love mine) and I think Pacesetters can be found almost anywhere. I think those are your only options.

thank you!

I found a set of pace setters for $217 USD..

• 2 weeks later...

I need to know what is the best route..

Should I just pull the engine/tranny together, or pull the engine out and then the tranny?

And when I install it, put the tranny on the engine before I put it back in?

the link to the other thread is not getting much attention..

I have a newer motor with less miles, I plan on taking my current motor out and putting in the newer one.

I would like to know what the easiest way of doing this is.

I am doing this by myself in my garage with a normal engine lift.

I have tried to remove a few of the bellhousing bolts and its a huge pain in the ass, and im thinking about how I am going to have to line this all up on my own and put it all back together, I just dont think its going to happen.

I have replaced engines before and I always pull the engine/tranny together as 1 unit and then set them on the ground, swap the tranny, and stick it back in.

Just looking for advice.

I yanked a ka out of a 93 2wd Hardbody once motor/trans connected. Luckily I was junking the truck when done stripping it but I had to hack the top of the core support off to clear. Of course I proably could have pulled more than just the fan off the front.

I have tried to remove a few of the bellhousing bolts and its a huge pain in the ass, and im thinking about how I am going to have to line this all up on my own and put it all back together, I just dont think its going to happen.

I swapped mine by myself. Not easy, but certainly doable.

You'll have to remove the front axle since the oil pan won't clear, putting it back in was the biggest hassle for me. I got it out w/o removing the torsion bars, but no way was it going back in the same way so I had to pull one out.

Anyway, once you have the engine prepped for removal, take a really good look at the angle its sitting front to back and match it when you drop the new one in. Test grab it a couple times and make adjustments to the chain, you should be able to get it.

Be prepared to put a jack under the trans to get the bolts lined up correctly in case you need to go from this / l to this l l. And a standard engine hoist should be fine as long as you don't leave a bunch of slack in the chain.

Oh, and the headers will have to be put on once the engine is in. They won't clear the bell housing if you bolt them up beforehand.

Edited by jj big shoe

nothing is simple/easy when removing/working on a pathy, just unbolt the trans, remember (number) the bolts as to where they go back in........ i dropped my front diff on mini and the engine came out and went back in no problems........ on my 2nd pull, the motor dropped on so well it hooked itself back to the trans! (5 spd)

when i pulled king's engine it was way easier, with all the lift and him being auto, things moved along real smooth.

it's tricky but doable by yourself :beer: