'96 steering stabilizer?

silverlion

Does anyone know where I might find a steering stabilizer for my 96 pathy? If I hit a pothole or bump at speed, the steering wheel shutters violently? I have cheched out the rack and pinion, struts, tie rods, bushings, etc. The dealer says it is a nissan flaw. Nothing can be done about it. I don't believe it. I'll build a subframe with 4 ling and new axles if that's what it takes...a stabilizer would be much simpler though.

Never seen one for it BECAUSE it is R&P. You might be able to make something custom like a shock sistered to the tie-rod or something. Actually though I would look at all your suspension components for wear, then see if your bearings are good, then check the R&P for slop.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have it narrowed down to the struts. Does anyone else have any input. When I hit the slightest bump, I can hear and feel a little clattering underneath. I have looked high and low for anything loose, worn out, I even lifted the front off the ground with a forklift. I shook the tires to see if it might be wheel bearings loose or gone, checked the brake calipers for rattling(chevys are notorious for this). It is driving me nuts!!!! I found some Monroe struts on Ebay, I have never seen them mentioned here. Does anyone know if they are worth a damn? Someone help......I need Prozac!!

Edited by silverlion

An idea: I am in the process of putting a suspension lift on my '97. When I finally got the front drivers strut off, it turned out to be broken! Couldn't tell and had been driving it, but the piston came right out of the strut unit and leaked oil all over. Maybe you do have a bad strut?

Also - I had to cut my sabilizer link bolts to get them off. Anyone know how to purchase new links? Dealer is obious choice, but does anyone have a better source??

Thanks all

I bought my links from Napa auto parts. They refer to them as a sway bar link kit. It takes one "kit" for each side. They come with bolts, washers, and the link. Believe it or not, they were half the price of autozone. What kept your strut together? Luck?

Edited by silverlion