K&N Cone Filter Installation

statikuz

Yep, read the writeup on the MrJim page, and I read all the posts about it here, but I was wondering about the intake adapter bit. How exactly does that work? I realize I could do that fuel-line-seal thing, but was wondering about the adapter. Anyone have a link to the sort of thing I need? Don't have any ricer shops here that I could browse around in, and I wouldn't know what I was looking for regardless. =)

I had to drill one hole bigger to get all 4 bolts in. You should be able to get bolts through 3 of the holes loosely, then drill what you need to get the last one through.Used the bolts from the factory airbox, but they don't have nuts, so you'll have to get some locknuts that fit them. I'm not sure what size they were, just happened to have some laying around.

Get the adapter for the PRE 96 Altima (Either 96 or 97 they changed).

Alrighty, I'm still kinda confused, what diameter does the adapter need to be? The K&N filter [RU-2520] is 4" inside diameter, so that rules out the Summit one, right? Sorry about the painfully stupid question but that means that I then need a 4" adapter... the likes of an eBay Altima one, right?

Or say screw it and get some fuel hose? ;)

Im confused myself earlier too stat but looking at the mod one of the member did kinda explained it all. I already have a 1/2 hose that was left over from a project i did.Its actually a garden hose that i picked up at home depot.

The problem im having is i cant find the K&N filter at my local auto parts store here.

My other option is to get the OVAL shaped one with a SS cap on the end.

Do you guys happen to have a link where i can purchase K&N filter (RU-2520) ?

Thanks

Sure, just order it from Summit Racing, at www.summitracing.com. Click Manufacturer's Search on the left there, pick K&N from the menu, and type in RU-2520. I think it's like $36 plus some shipping and whatnot. I think I'm just gonna get some fuel line and do it that way, seems almost like it would give it a better seal anyways, y'kno?

You can use the adapter from Summit, then just get a K&N universal 3" inner diameter cone filter. That's what I got in my kit that I bought. Maybe this information is coming too late, but if you haven't bought the filter yet, you can use the Altima adapter and a 3" K&N cone filter.

I have a question on this cone filter change. On Mr. Jim's site it says when you are done with the install you have to reset the ECU. What does that mean and how do you do it?

I am looking at doing this, but I was going to get an adapter from somewhere else because I want to keep my factory airbox for a snorkel eventually. So guys let me know how the install goes when it is done! :type:

I guess the theory is that you have to make the ECU adapt itself to the increased airflow. I'm not sure how to do it. Anyone? =D I can't find a 4" adapter anywhere; I don't want to go down to a 3", and I already ordered a 4" filter. =)

Yeah, if you read the writeup on the MrJim site it kinda makes sense. Since the gold plate is kinda rounded on the inside of that flange, it doesn't make a full seal without the rubber hose. An adapter has a flat outside, so you can slip on the filter and put a hose clamp on and not worry about any leakage. At least I think that's the way it works. The MAF sensor stays in the silver part of the intake.

Wouldnt it be better having a bigger opening on the intake? Coz the factory ring is 4 inches in opening compared to the 3 altima one.Thats an inch difference.

Actually, the inside diameter of the hole going into the airbox where the MAF used to go is 3". The flange that you end up with by using the gold ring on the airbox as your "adapter" ends up being 4" around, which is why that would require the 4" filter.