Just changed tranny fluid

lyzic

And I have a question...

It was a bit of a pain in the ass day, since I had to leave twice on the bike to get the parts because the parts guy gave me the wrong pieces to change the tranny fluid and filter.

Anyways,

So I drained it as per the manual says in the maintenance section, a la the one drain bolt in the pan. I'm not sure how much exactly came out but somewhere close to 8L.

I then measured approx. 8.5L (I spilled a little bit and my measuring cup turned on once) so give or take probably 300 mL and dumped it through the measuring tube. I then started the truck, let it sit for 30 seconds, and checked fluid levels which are way more full than the top of the hot reading.

What I'm worried about is reading up now I see mention of the torque convertor, which I didn't separately drain, unless it's done with the main tranny pan drain bolt. I can't even find instructions in the maintenance part of the manual on how to do this? Please tell me that the one big drain in the pan is the only one.

Also...to fine tune the amount of fluid I am guessing I am going to have to take a bit out. Anyone have a refined technique for this, other than dropping the same drain bolt for a couple seconds? If I have a bit too much in the tranny, what does this do and will it be bad to leave a bit extra in?

Oh, and I didn't change the transfer fluid? Will this fluid mix with the tranny fluid? The front transfer fluid isn't the torque convertor, right ?! So I'll need 8.5L for the tranny and 2.2L for the transfer fluid, not 8.5L total ?

Cheers!

Edited by lyzic

And I have a question...

It was a bit of a pain in the ass day, since I had to leave twice on the bike to get the parts because the parts guy gave me the wrong pieces to change the tranny fluid and filter.

Anyways,

So I drained it as per the manual says in the maintenance section, a la the one drain bolt in the pan. I'm not sure how much exactly came out but somewhere close to 8L.

I then measured approx. 8.5L (I spilled a little bit and my measuring cup turned on once) so give or take probably 300 mL and dumped it through the measuring tube. I then started the truck, let it sit for 30 seconds, and checked fluid levels which are way more full than the top of the hot reading.

What I'm worried about is reading up now I see mention of the torque convertor, which I didn't separately drain, unless it's done with the main tranny pan drain bolt. I can't even find instructions in the maintenance part of the manual on how to do this? Please tell me that the one big drain in the pan is the only one.

Also...to fine tune the amount of fluid I am guessing I am going to have to take a bit out. Anyone have a refined technique for this, other than dropping the same drain bolt for a couple seconds? If I have a bit too much in the tranny, what does this do and will it be bad to leave a bit extra in?

Oh, and I didn't change the transfer fluid? Will this fluid mix with the tranny fluid? The front transfer fluid isn't the torque convertor, right ?! So I'll need 8.5L for the tranny and 2.2L for the transfer fluid, not 8.5L total ?

Cheers!

Dont overfill your transmission. Best to under fill it and then top it off. If you are over let a little out at the drain plug and then get it right at the filler.

Transfer fluid is seperated from the transmission fluid.

The touque converter is not the transfer case. The torgue concerter holds fluid, so when you drain and refill, you are only replacing about 1/2 to 1/3 of the total amount of fluid the transmission holds.

The only drain point for the transmission is the drain hole you used.

How does one drain the torque convertor then?

You can't "drain" the TC. However, you can change the fluid in the TC by performing a transmission fluid flush, or by draining and filling repeatedly within a short period of time, which dilutes the amount of old fluid left in the tranny every time you change the oil.

A near-complete transmission fluid change is accomplished by attaching the tranny cooler lines to a special transmission flushing machine.

You can do it yourself by first performing a drain and fill, and then by removing the tranny cooler lines from the radiator and aiming them into a bucket. Next, start the engine and allow the old fluid to be pumped by the tranny into the bucket, stopping the engine every time ~1 quart has emptied, then adding a quart to keep the transmission filled up. After 9-12 quarts, all of the old fluid should be pumped out of the system. Make sure the fluid level is in the proper marks on the dipstick. Don't overfill, since that can result in the transmission gears and moving parts to splash through the fluid, causing it to foam and be a less efficient lubricant.

Thanks a ton for the replies. I think it may be overfilled to the extent of ~200mL by measuring what's left in my 10L jug.

Now to my next project, replacing a clutch seal on my quad, 03 LTZ400! Gotta get them all working by tomorrow!

Excellent post by XPLORx4!!! Only thing I might add is remove only one trans cooling line to also flush the trans fluid from the rad and/or trans coolers - but need to be sure to you know which trans cooling line is fluid out and which one is fluid return or you may have your catch can in the wrong spot. :)