Oil pressure gauge not working

Just picked up a pristine 87 with a vg30. After driving home I noticed the oil pressure gauge was at 0. The oil light still comes on when I turn the key. I pulled the oil fill off and I can see oil coming into the valve cover from the front, but it's not shooting out or anything. The truck runs great and doesn't make any strange noises. How do I fix the gauge? Or should I not worry about it? I picked up a sending unit from the parts store, could the gauge and the light run off the same sending unit? HELP!

interesting... my '89 doesn't have a guage just a ligt that shines red @ startup and I think I saw it yellow once when I may have been low. Anyway I would assume that the light and the guage would run off the same sensor but maybe somone else can provide better info since I don't even have a guage.

wellcome to NPORA BTW

Check it for what?

There is a wire that goes to it. I believe it is a green wire. See if it is covered with oil/crud/junk and not making a connection and/or not plugged in.

If that doesnt fix it replace the oil pressure sensor. PART NUMBER: 25070-07G12

Well, it is covered with oil. I ordered a new sending unit today, and while I was leaving the parts store the starter crapped out. So now I'm going to need a starter. Damn it.

I seem to have read that here a few times before.... The Oil PS sensor gets loose and leaks on the starter and then the starter craps out. I better double check mine.

I seem to have read that here a few times before.... The Oil PS sensor gets loose and leaks on the starter and then the starter craps out. I better double check mine.

Yep yep yep.

common problem with the VG30.

Throw a little bit of pooky on the threads once you start threading the sensor back in.

Well, it is covered with oil. I ordered a new sending unit today, and while I was leaving the parts store the starter crapped out. So now I'm going to need a starter. Damn it.

Been there done that, next....