Nissan SAS update

Spolar93

about 6 months ago i got the idea from these to replace the shackle end of my front springs: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2151,157_L...pring%20sliders

but they were too short and light duty for my needs so i came up with my design that used all 1/4" plate and used a longer slot, with it being ~12" in total length.

after searching around the forums i came across this thread which helped immensely in refining my design: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652426

heres my fab work as of now, almost done with the other one as well.

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0653.jpg

what do you guys think of concept and creation?

Ok, I'm new to this level of mods but I did read the links and I think I understand. What suprises me is that it just seems to be 2 slots with a bolt and some plastic (UHMW PE would be a good material. I have some 1/2" thick chunks if you want to try it). NO guide bushing much less shoulder bolt, NO internal plastic tube to fit over the bolt to help align it and a LOT of slop. From what people said in the forum, they work and years of use provides little wear. I'm really suprised at that!!

Your design looks just fine, but very rough. As a machinist, I'd want to mill the slots and the guide rails in all at the same time, straight with no more than .005" clearance for everything. Welding is a good skill but hardly suffices for precision work. Again, this coming from a machinist who doesn't know how to weld. I'm not trying to be critical, but I'd never have guessed that the design is sufficient to hold on the leafs which hold on the axle!! What do I know...

It seems like it should work, but I wonder how loose it will make the front end feel. Good job and thanks for sharing.

B

ive machined for 4 years and received scholarshipsfor it, but i dont have my bridgeport anymore so fab-by-pieces is whats up. shouldnt feel loose at all, in fact compared to my current shackle set up, its should add stability. now .005 is a bit small for an offroad enviroment that could foul something up with grit and mud

im using .75" UHMW for the sliders

WOW what a long couple days. finally got springs from the junk yard and bastarded my pack up. the main spring and mil wrap spring with the bottom 4 waggys i had. that and the slider leveled out the pre-runner rake, gave me a better pinion angle and caster, got my wheelbase to 108-9", and most of all pretty much killed my nasty body roll!!!!! im figuring the stability of the system is helping big time. they got pretty flexy on a small wall, and tomorrow ill be makin some spring clamps for the back, as well as welding in a couple reinforment plates on the inner side. next up to finish the front are gonna be a niiiiiiiice pair of bilsteins, maybe even the remote resievour ones (7100s?) :rr:

IMG_0664.jpg

greased up the rails with white lithium grease, and between the leaf springs, graphite molygrease. im thinkin the uhmw with break in on the rails in a week or so

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg

i plan on flexin it out on the volvo loader at work (i want those portals!!!) in the next few days to measure front d shaft and new shock lengths

im likin my new coat of blue paint too, white just didnt work out like i thought it would.

spolar, I know this mod.. you need to place your sliders at an angle corrosponding with the natural arc of the spring..

Works will, but the way you have them set, it will bind up a bit.

How far do your front spring eyes hang out?

?? what do you mean?

Interesting design. Can't invert that.

the springs will still go negative, just since the spring is getting shorter horizontly the slider will move forward

spolar, I know this mod.. you need to place your sliders at an angle corrosponding with the natural arc of the spring..

Works will, but the way you have them set, it will bind up a bit.

ive seen them used sucessful either way. this version allows the pinion to stay at a flatter angle through the cycling of the suspension, as oppossed to a shackle which will force the pinion to move on greater angle. although i was contemplating angling them for increased droop, i figured id have more than enough travel this way. :friday:

wheelin around seattle this summer jeremy?

?? what do you mean?

the springs will still go negative, just since the spring is getting shorter horizontly the slider will move forward

ive seen them used sucessful either way. this version allows the pinion to stay at a flatter angle through the cycling of the suspension, as oppossed to a shackle which will force the pinion to move on greater angle. although i was contemplating angling them for increased droop, i figured id have more than enough travel this way. :friday:

wheelin around seattle this summer jeremy?

I'm wheeling all the time. I'm actually going out this weekend.. again.

I'm wheeling all the time. I'm actually going out this weekend.. again.

think you might be able to come down with jared when hes done to tillamook state forest this summer?

and nissyota im diggin your design haha. looks like the only difference is i cut out a 2"x2" square out of the inner ears so itd wrap around the crossmember for more weld area. if i remember right the holes were out 3" from the bottom of the tab? funny, even both have the mili wrapped front eye!

and nissyota im diggin your design haha. looks like the only difference is i cut out a 2"x2" square out of the inner ears so itd wrap around the crossmember for more weld area. if i remember right the holes were out 3" from the bottom of the tab? funny, even both have the mili wrapped front eye!

I was cutting mine somewhere else and we did the cut out of a 2x2 but then i thought it would hit on my radiator. im bracing it so its no biggie

294232068_999259211_0.jpg

294231840_999258379_0.jpg

294231641_999257639_0.jpg

294231443_999256919_0.jpg

294231311_999256433_0.jpg

294231200_999255967_0.jpg

294230869_999254760_0.jpg

got about 34" of air under the front tire. no binding in the sliders either, so im gonna finish welding and gusseting everything in. measured out for the front drive shaft and picked up some square tube, 1310 u-joint, and a u-bolt kit.

Nice Flex. There's a "Sexy Flexy" thread you should post on if you haven't already.

What's that yellow hose on the middle pick? Brake line?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v439/gsp...999255967_0.jpg

I thought it was a coil spring at first glance.

its my diff breather tube that runs up by the airbox. its just a cut to fit cioled shop air hose