Rancho Struts

ardavis78

My struts and shocks are shot, so I was looking into a lift. AC has a few different options and I've heard Rancho struts are the way to go over KYB. I work at an auto parts store and in the Rancho catalog, it says the struts offered by AC are for a stock susp. w/ no lift. I only go off road and play occasionally. Why can't I just buy stock Monroe struts for the front and longer travel Ranchos for the rear? I really don't need a high-performance strut cuz I'm not off road much. Gimme your opinion...I'm open to suggestions. Thanks a lot!!! (I've asked a cpl. of people on here personally, I'd still like their opinions too...thanks again!!!)

I haven't checked the travel length specs on either the Ranco or KYB struts for the front,but i can tell you the KYB's kick but. I've had mine on the truck for 4 years now and have wheeled it extensively with no problems. Do you have the travel length specs for the Rancho's at your work?

As far as I know, nobody makes longer travel struts for the R50. The suspension lifts available for the R50 simply use stiffer springs, so the truck sits higher, but since total front travel is limited by the strut, the front downtravel is reduced by the same amount as the lift. By the way, the original equipment struts in my truck were made by KYB (it was stamped right on the strut body), but they were definetly NOT the same as the KYB GR2 struts sold as aftermarket replacements.

I replaced my OEM struts with KYB GR2s first, and then with Rancho RSXs, so I have used them both with a 1" lift without issues. I know others have used them with bigger lifts with only minor topping out issues due to the reduced downtravel. The KYBs lasted well over 4 years. The Ranchos have been on for a bit over 2 years. Each time I replaced struts I compared the lenght of the new and the old, and they were identical.

Right now I still have the Rancho struts, but I will probably switch back to KYBs next time I need to replace them. Both are great, and the handling is very similar, but I think liked the KYBs a bit better (and they were cheaper). In the end, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Good luck...

How often do you guys replace your struts/shocks?

It depends on how quickly they wear out, or if the components are replaced as part of a suspension upgrade. Rough terrain will wear out the shocks and struts faster than smooth terrain, and obviously, the more miles per month you drive, the shorter the replacement interval is.