Removed rear sway bar and installed front QD links

arcano

For a long time I had been thinking about doing something with the sway bars in order to get more articulation and better traction on uneven terrain, but I was concerned about street handling. The Pathfinder is my daily driver, and I have two young kids, so safety is paramount to me.

A while ago I even bought a set of JKS "quick disconnect" sway bar links for the front, after reading a write-up from XPLORx4, only to find out that he did not like how they worked (I think he ended up just removing the front sway bar). It sounded as if the problem was not with the links themselves, which seem to be very well built, but with the sway bar banging around when the links were removed. So, it should just be a matter of engineering some way to hold the sway bar in place. I figure it can't be too hard.

On saturday I finally went ahead and completely removed the rear sway bar. That was easy enough. I also decided to go ahead and install the removable links up front. That was also pretty straightforward, and the links fit very well. My plan is to drive the truck for a few days with the links on to make sure there are no adverse effects, noises, etc. while I figure out a way to secure the sway bar when the links come off.

So far I am really happy. The front feels very good with the links in place, as expected, with no binding or strange sounds. I dialed my rear Ranchos to 9, and I can't tell any difference from the missing rear sway bar (although the ride is a little harsh). Today I will dial them down a bit to do some more testing, and if it stops raining I will try to take some pictures.

Any ideas on how to hold the sway bar when the links come off?

Edited by arcano

Just undo one link. You don't need to disconnect both ends to gain flex. The swaybar does nothing if only connected on one side.

Just undo one link. You don't need to disconnect both ends to gain flex. The swaybar does nothing if only connected on one side.

Thanks for the suggestion Simon. That was my first idea. Unfortunately, it seems as if when you compress the "linked" side of the suspension while the "unlinked" side is extended, the unlinked end of the sway bar could come into contact with the brake line bracket in the strut and possibly rip off the break line on the unlinked side. It’s hard to explain, and maybe I am wrong, but I would not like to find out the hard way. Still, thanks for the suggestion. I may still try it very carefully to see if it actually comes into contact with anything.

What I would prefer is to figure out a way to secure the sway bar when I remove the links, so that it stays in one position and does not move up and down with the suspension. Hopefully it can be secured in a position where it will not come into contact with anything as the suspension cycles up and down.

Thanks for the suggestion Simon. That was my first idea. Unfortunately, it seems as if when you compress the "linked" side of the suspension while the "unlinked" side is extended, the unlinked end of the sway bar could come into contact with the brake line bracket in the strut and possibly rip off the break line on the unlinked side. It’s hard to explain, and maybe I am wrong, but I would not like to find out the hard way. Still, thanks for the suggestion. I may still try it very carefully to see if it actually comes into contact with anything.

What I would prefer is to figure out a way to secure the sway bar when I remove the links, so that it stays in one position and does not move up and down with the suspension. Hopefully it can be secured in a position where it will not come into contact with anything as the suspension cycles up and down.

Hi Arcano, I applaud your determination to find a front swaybar disconnect solution. Which JKS disconnects (p/n) are you using? The ones I originally used many years ago required too much maintenance, and the ball joints eventually seized up.

As you test your ideas, do keep in mind that if the swaybar is secured up (out of the way, so it doesn't bang into the CV axles), the effect is the same as having one side compressed and the other extended: the extended side will have the brake line bracket issue while the wheel is turned. I wish you success in whatever alternative you discover. Good luck!

Edited by XPLORx4

They are JKS part number 4100. I am almost sure they are the same ones you used.

You did mention that they required lots of maintenance and seizing was a problem. So, I bought a grease gun and some red high pressure grease and pumped them full of the good stuff before putting them on. Then, I did it again last night while the links were on the vehicle to see how hard it was. No problem, and it only took about 10 minutes per side. If that is all it takes I don't mind greasing them once every copuple of weeks. Its just a little messy :aok:

So, to me, finding a way to hold the swaybar is the real killer right now. By the way, dialed my rear shocks back down to 6, which is my normal setting, and I can barely feel the additional roll when going around corners. Very happy so far.

• 4 weeks later...

I finally took a picture of the JKS Quicker Disconnect removable sway bar links I installed about a month ago. I took the picture right after a short ride in the rain, so everything is wet. I have not done any extensive riding with the links disconnected. The reason is that I still have not figured out a way to secure the sway bar when disconnected, but so far the links themselves are not causing any problems. I have greased them once since I installed them. It took me only a few minutes.

IMG_2589.jpg

Regarding the rear sway bar, which I completely removed, I can confirm that this had almost no effect on on-road handling. I don’t drive too fast, especially around corners, but with the stiffer springs and wider tire stance I can barely tell its not there. I hope that off-road it will provide a more stable ride, with more traction over uneven terrain. No problems from the front yet, but as I said above before have kept the links on while off-roading.

Will keep everyone posted on the performance.