OME's are noisy--shot !

From the title...my OME Nitrogen struts are making a very dull fruuump noise in turns and other stressful situations....anyone up North (ehh) or anywhere ever greased a strut before?

I have read that people on occasion use lithium spray grease to lube them after Winter and such...anyone here, or are they just shot?

Edited by 02silverpathy

So cool, I can reply to myself ! After using some DuPont Teflon & White Lithium spray grease and driving about 50 miles, the noise has begun to subside...I plan on reading about the combination of Marvel Mystery Oil and Lithium to see if they are happy compatible and firing away again.

The part I left out in my question is to say that when these were on my 98 (about 5K) they had NO boot to cover them from elements and I live in a salt state...it would appear that this has dried out the factory grease...hopefully this does not turn into a saga that I have to lube every 6 months or I may have to replace them.

Sooo...noise is back! Took my rig to alignment shop, this dude is a pro, he tells me that the struts valving is giving away and I should try to warranty them.

Questions is now, what a er the best replacement strut?

IMHO, KYB GR2

X2

I've had no problems with mine so far. I will add, if your doing the strut bearing, OEM only. DO NOT buy the KYB version. They KYB's are a much lower quality than the OEM, and cost me considerable time and some money to learn this.

Pete

x4 on the KYB GR2 struts. I have used them in the past and they are great. I currently have Rancho RSX struts, and they are also pretty good, but I will definetly switch back to KYB struts when I need to change them again.

I also agree with the comment about using only OEM strut bearings, much better quality than KYB. Same thing goes for the strut mount: get the nissan stuff. If I were you I would change both mount and bearing while you are in there. Of course, I also learned all of this the hard way...

:crossedwires:

X5 bro. I installed KYB GR2's myself. Very happy. Bastards are almost too stiff for my DD. Can't wait to get them out on some real trails. (if you saw the roads I drive on daily, you'd know they're already trail tested!)