Fuelling glitch / stutter?

irich

Hi

Hope somebody can help..

I have a 2004 Pathfinder 3.5 SE. I'm in Saudi and I do basic maintenance myself unless I have no option but to take to the dealer.

I think I might have a fuelling or ignition glitch. The car starts up fine, runs fine at idle, but when it gets warm it feels like it is down on power (almost like it is running lean) and it misses a beat from time to time, sometimes jerking a bit. It might do this for a short whle then clear for a bit, then return.

This gets worse if I put the engine under load, switch on the AC, climb a hill.

Seems fine when starting from cold, It has been happening for a few weeks, the air, fuel and oil filters have been replaced, doesn't burn any oil, I've ran a couple of tanks of fresh gas through it in case it was poor fuel, only got 25,000 miles on the clock, any ideas?

Regards

Rich

Edited by irich

Normally I would say change the fuel filter, but since that has already been done, it could be an out-of-adjustment sensor, one or more bad spark plug coils, or clogged injectors. It's really tough to say without a CEL code.

Normally I would say change the fuel filter, but since that has already been done, it could be an out-of-adjustment sensor, one or more bad spark plug coils, or clogged injectors. It's really tough to say without a CEL code.

I had the same problem a few months ago. What I did was switch to Shell gas 87 octane (was using BJ's gas since 2002) and poured a can of Sea Foam into my gas tank. After the first 100 miles and got better. I don't know if it was the gas or the Sea Form or a combination of both. I haven't had the problem since. I hope what I did works for you.

I had the same problem a few months ago. What I did was switch to Shell gas 87 octane (was using BJ's gas since 2002) and poured a can of Sea Foam into my gas tank. After the first 100 miles and got better. I don't know if it was the gas or the Sea Form or a combination of both. I haven't had the problem since. I hope what I did works for you.

OK, so the dealer just called (I had to put it in as I couldn't locate the problem).

1 month outside of warranty (2004 sold in 2005), voltage regulator/alternator on their way out. Basically runs OK under no load then the alternator/regulator play up when under load.

They are quoting me around $500 (main dealer). It sounds expensive to me.

OK, so the dealer just called (I had to put it in as I couldn't locate the problem).

1 month outside of warranty (2004 sold in 2005), voltage regulator/alternator on their way out. Basically runs OK under no load then the alternator/regulator play up when under load.

They are quoting me around $500 (main dealer). It sounds expensive to me.

Yep, that's expensive. Labor to swap the alternator shouldn't be more than $150, quite possibly a lot less. You can get a new alternator from Autozone for around $200. Therefore, you should be able to get an independent shop to install a new alternator for you for much less than $500.