Save my Pathy

Lately, my 97 pathy has been rocking from side to side when I'm doig 65 mph and above. I feel the wobbling mostly when I hit a bump or the street is not level. I have replaced my struts and shocks for newer ones and I'm still having the same problem. Now I'm having too many thoughts: tires, alignment, bushings ect,. Ain't it better worth buying the arms that come with the bushing than just bushing itself. Where are they located? My wife refused to drive it just for the simple fact. She feels the trucks will tip over. In the mean time , I'm getting tired of sitting behind the wheel,at all time.

Anyone knows what's the code P0440. A small leak in the EVAP SYSTEM problem. how easy would it be to find the problem?

the wobble links are right on.

The control arms don't wear out, the bushings do. Problem is, pressing in (and cutting out) replacement bushings has been a nightmare for some owners. For others, it's gone OK. I paid for new upper and lower control arms at the dealer. Expensive, but problem solved in one day. This seems to be the R50s weakest link. Nissan shoulda recalled them (IMHO) but every vehicle has a weak link, no pun intended, so be it.

I wish I kept the old links, beacuse I would've liked to tackle the bushing replacement anyway. If you're into that sort of thing ask the dealer to give you the old arms. Some guys on the 4x4parts.com listserve welded on angle iron to reinforce the lower arms as rock sliders and pressed in poly bushings from AC. I don't like poly bushings in Maine's winter climate (they freeze solid) so I went with Nissan rubber bushings in new links - suppossedly Nissan addressed the issue, but I;m not sure--we'll see what happens if they wear out at 140,000 miles.

mike

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after gathering all info from the reply "Save my Pathy". I went to a local repair shop and I have a mechanic man put my car on a lift for $20. I quickly noticed the upper and the lower rear control arm were bad. they had excessive play as you twist them. The bushings were gone. I couldn't wait any longer so I went to the Dealer and purchased all four links.

$135 ea. for the lower control arm

$ 92 ea for the upper control arm

It wasn't an easy task. The lower control arm was the most difficult one to come off. The man had to use a blow torch to take them out.

The upper control arm was the easiest one to come out.

Labor cost me $ 100 only. Now my baby is on the run. She drove sweeter as ever.

Also, remember I had the "check engine light " problem. As I change the gas filter everything is fine now.

Mr. Pickles and Herm_ A million thanks to ya. Your thoughts have been very appriciated. Keep the good work. :clap:

Himmler.

Glad you got your bushing problem fixed, but I hate to tell you that there is no way that changing the fuel filter fixed a P0440 EVAP Small Leak error. Most likely you got a better seal on the gas cap or the code will be back. The EVAP system doesn't check for leaks very often, I've had mine go for up to a week before the right drive cycle conditions are met and the EVAP system is checked for a leak. If you don't get it back in a couple of weeks then it was probably just a loose gas cap that set it off originally.

I won't doubt you. Truly I had found it strange cause I know for fact that the fuel filter is not related to code P0440. I had changed the gas cap two weeks ago but the check light was still on. Is it possible to have the "check engine light " on when the fuel filter is bad?. Or they(Dealer) gave me the wrong code.

i went back and forth a couple years ago with the never-ending check engine light. It was frustrating, and we never resolved why it was coming on. The dealer would reset it, and it would come on within a week, or sometimes before I made it home (12 miles). This went on for about 3 months, it got to the point where I left the dealer and had a local shop do it - they reset it for half the price, and continued to reset it at no charge.

Then one day it stayed off, and that was about 40,000 miles ago. We never understood why....

mike