Putting in speakers

So how hard is it? Wanting to put in the front and rear speakers, anything I should know about other than matching up the right wires?

In my case it was (or rather - is, as in still in progress) a lot of work. I have a '95 with the 8 speaker factory Clarion system, with 2 blown speakers.

The speakers I purchased (5" x 7") were not compatible with the factory sizes. I pulled the ceiling liner out to remove the metal speaker mounting in the rear. Marked and cut out the new holes with a sabre saw. The replacement speaker grills did not cover the existing holes in the ceiling liner, so I fabricated some flanges that match the new grills colour to cover the voids in the liner. I removed the factory amps and ran new wires directly from the head unit. In the rear I will just use the new 2 way speakers as is.

Since the factory system does not have a proper crossover, and I would like to use the factory tweeters up front, I am running new wires from the head unit to a crossover for each side, with wires then run to the door speakers, and the pillar mounted tweeters. I have not had time to do the doors yet, but I don't expect it to go smoothly. I will end up with a 6 speaker system when I'm done.

My logic behind running new wires is if I choose to install aftermarket amps at a later date I don't have to worry about using those piddly little feeble wires that are run with the factory system.

I was told that my new head unit would probably (possibly/maybe) work with the factory amps, but just in case I pulled them out. I would rather do it right than do it twice.

That said, if you're not changing the head unit, just match your speaker size and haveatter, should be a breeze. Also, If you don't have the 8 speaker Clarion Factory system you can probably ignore a lot of what I've just said.

have you searched the forums? speaker discussion has been pretty complete in the past. you may even find a wireing diagram or two.

X10

When in doubt, rip it out ... or bypas, at least. The stock wiring is barely adequate for the stock setup, whether "regular" stereo, or the Clarion or other systems, so don't bother with it for aftermarket needs. You're talking about a 198X (or even 199X) stock truck, not exactly what you would expect for a rolling stereo demo. My vote is to rewire it from the head-unit and/or amps back out to your speakers. If you're already at that point (pulling the stereo out), then the cost is negligable.