Olds Bravada pinion seal

fondo

Hey everyone, I'm working on a 93 olds bravada pinion seal and I'm not sure exactly how I go about torquing the pinion nut on the rear diff. I'm in the process of replacing the pinion seal, but where I go from there is sorta hit or miss. I've been told that I need to torque the nut ("lbs.) to what it takes to turn the pinion with the torque wrench which is about 19"lbs. Is that all you should wrench it to!? I mean it seems kinda low for something fastening a critical link in the drive-train. Any one know a thing or two about rear ends, enough to steer me in the right direction? THANKS...Sorry it's not a pathy

I think I understand now how the torque measurement works for these. You gotta push the flange on by turning the nut which requires a good amount of torque to seat it on the pinion spline. Then you turn the pinion nut with an "lbs. torque wrench and compare it to the measurement taken before disassembly... If anyone was curious. I wonder how the pathy rear-end is set up. I never had an issue with seals on my pathfinder, other than the cam seals. Goes to show how Japanese engineering surpasses domestic way back when and probably now. Any way, thanks.