Cheap On-Board Air Compressor

Mile_High_Pathy

I've seen a couple different jeep sites where guys have pulled old ac compressors or the like from junk yards and set them up for on-board air. I searched the forum here with no success. Has any one done this and if so is it worth the effort?

I did a minimal install on mine so I'm not sure if it's worth the efffort unless you use an old AC compressor as you mentioned. On the good side, all the air lines are installed ready for a larger compressor and tank system for the future. I didn't use a York compressor or something similiar. I used a compressor out of a Caddy that was meant for airing up the air shocks. Because it's a tiny compressor, it's only good for airing up smaller tires. I used mine on my 35's and it starts to get warm. Combined with a small tank, it would be better. I took the air suspension out of my Subaru and will give that compressor and the tank a try as it's a bit bigger.

It is handy however to just plug in your air hose, flip a switch and walk around to all your tires and air up. If you have a quadraflate, then it's a cinch.

I'm in the process of building a back bumper that will double as an air tank. I figure that two 2 7/8 pipes running across the back and slightly wrapping around the the sides will be plenty of air space to air the tires back up after a trail ride. I only have a little $20 12v air pump from wal-mart. it's not too bad, it has a built in PSI gauge with automatic cut-off when it reaches the desired pressure. I plan on upgrading the pump when I find something better that's affordable. The main problem I'm having is deciding wether or not I should take the stock bumper off, or just build the new one to fit over it. I've already decided to make it bolt on to the existing hidden hitch. I'll let that project blow over for a little bit then I plan on building a front bumper/brushgaurd to match the back bumper.

they do work

but you need to have an oil 'in' point just before the compressor and then an oil trap after the compressor. dont wanna fill your tyres with oil......

the oil is needed to stop the compressor from siezeing (sp??) up and to keep the seals in good condition

how ever even with this setup i ve heard they dont tend to last long

a better idea than an old ac compressor is buy 2 cheap compressors from a generic auto parts store and plumb them together into one tank, obviously controlled by one pressure switch. ive seen it on a mitsubishi pajero (i think you guys call em monteros) and it worked ok

you wanna get really low budget and badass??? get an air ride compressor from an 80s cadillac and put a clip on air chuck or a quick coupler for tanks.. i have made several of them

Ya know, that's not a bad idea. Some 80's Buicks (Riviera) also had the air suspension as well, you could probably find one of those cars in any local boneyard.

• 2 weeks later...

trailblazer said what i was gonna say!

Cheap fix is canadian tire or some motorsport place near by should have a 12volt plugin aircompressor. I have a 5 in 1 air compressor works great never had to use it on me yet! Was 39.99 on sale... :)