Good and I think maybe bad day at work today

unccpathfinder

So my boss finally found out I was searching for jobs and had some offers and has increased my pay by 25% so now I'm where I should have been day 1...and now is considering major reforms in the buisness b/c I want paid vacation for everyone and more structure...

He has just volunteered to pay for me to get a passport and insisted it must be expedited....

Then he informed me I'm going to Israel for a week for work June 1st...I'm not really sure if that's something I want to do...I thought being an American and being there was bad...I havent had time to research it but I'd like to get the wonderful opinion of the forum...I hear its not a bad place to go and its not what the media says but I'm confused...ohh yea this will be my 1st international experience and 7th flight ever...

Considering all the global unrest and the Middle East in particular...I'd have trepidation as well. Like you say, do lots of research and ask anyone who knows or has been there, lots of questions.

I'm looking at airplanes (taking measurements and pictures and its an "undisclosed" location which really unnerves me...they are giving me all details prior to me committing for sure....

I asked if I was going to be armed for war b/c if so I was ready but don't send me to some bad area and not send me prepared...he said no to M16's, RPGs, sawed offs, and a barringer .50 cal sniper riffle...b/c I figured I could be assault, support and demolition all at the same token if need be...but they expressed some concern with airport security...

he said no to M16's, RPGs, sawed offs, and a barringer .50 cal sniper riffle

Well what does that leave you....That is worth a damn. MP5's? :D

My friends folks are working in Pakistan at the moment...Farming of all things.

They have guides/guards when they go anywhere...

I doubt I'd do it.

"SILENCE..... I KELL YOU" :lol:

Congrats on the raise, etc... Ironic though how employers will underpay you as much as possible, then step up to the plate when you are 1 foot out the door. Why the fark not just pay you what you are worth all along? Answer:greed. Bastages!! I've been through that myself.

As for Israel, GO!!! Don't think, GO!!!

Two reasons.

1) It will be great experience, look good on a resume, and opportunity to travel FREE (actually get paid for it!!!) and expand your horizons not to mention put you in better standing/more valuable to the company you are working for.

2) Israel is NOT a war zone. Yes, they have some troubles and attacks but there is actually a whole country there that continues to function. You are about as likely to get car jacked/mugged/butt loved here. It's not like everyone is hiding in bunkers 24/7 and they have some of the best military around with open orders to proceed as appropriate. The fact that you are going to airfields/hangars just says you will be in some of the most secure areas most of the time. Hell, you are just going for a week.

Seriously dude, heft your huevos and get on the plane!!

B

Oh, it's a Barrett .50 BMG, derringers are little overunder back up thunder guns. Mines .357... ;)

Congrats on the raise, etc... Ironic though how employers will underpay you as much as possible, then step up to the plate when you are 1 foot out the door. Why the fark not just pay you what you are worth all along? Answer:greed. Bastages!! I've been through that myself.

Yea...well I'm still making my trip to portland to check out this one company and I know they're going to pay me more than what I got on the raise I've just got to get there get a value and see if it's worth it...

Oh, it's a Barrett .50 BMG, derringers are little overunder back up thunder guns. Mines .357... wink.gif

Thanks for that correction and I've done a good bit of reading today and it looks like it'd be a great trip...but I did just find one small thing that is going to keep me from going...

Visitors to Israel must hold a passport valid for at least six months. Tourists can stay in Israel for up to three months, after which they may apply for an extension.

so that may pose me a little bit of an issue...but I will bring it to their attention after my passport application has been completed and submitted...hopefully I can still go...we'll see how it all plays out I guess

The fact that you are going to airfields/hangars just says you will be in some of the most secure areas most of the time.

After my trip to LAX to survey some airplanes I have confirmed that airport security is BS simply b/c if you know someone with the right access then you bypass all the security even carrying a box with tubes and wires hanging out of it (it was a 1:1 mock-up for a water vapor sensing sensor II) and I got plenty of funny looks from people walking around the airport but didn't get harassed by anyone else

Yep, ALWAYS follow up on offers, even if you don't take them. You learn things, make connections and you never know if you apply there 5 years from now...

Hmm, didn't know about the time held issue, but hopefully, with a US company vouching for you it will be a non issue. It just shows how serious they are about security, which leads me to my next point.

After the 911 incident, the US hired many consultants, one of them a top Israeli security guy. He basically said WTF are you doing?? All these stupid regulations (ie. no nail clippers, etc), spot checking grannies (even a senator), double digit IQ (NON ARMED!!) security personnel, NOT profiling the fliers... You guys are idiots!!! He was thanked and dismissed...

Our "security forces", be them TSA or HLS, are a farking joke!! They are generally successful when a trained monkey would have beat them to the punch! It's all a stupid, expensive, inconviencing show that makes the average US citizen "feel" safe but hardly accomplish squat. It's a placebo(sp?) to make people feel safe and think the government is watching out for them. They spend more effort in monitoring the US citizens and curtailing freedom then anything else. Ok, perhaps they have thwarted attacks, etc. When? Where? How? From who? I haven't heard much...

Yeah, there have been sooooooo many bombings, etc that is is necessary to monitor everything possible that there is not another? Ok, I'm rambling. Sorry.

Point is, you are talking about LAX (LAX is in lax) as in US security. Israeli security is a bit more effective... I have no love for the Israelis due to some of their actions, but I will give credit where credit due.

2 years ago I was interviewing for a job and they said that it may require me to go to Israel to train/train others, would I have a problem with that? My answer, nope... Do your homework, don't listen to the news for it.

If I was you, I wouldn't hesitate at all.

B

Do some research, get a gun, learn some arab language, and go. You'll be fine mate ;) I saw yemen on Intrepid Journeys the other night and it looked spectacular and believe it or not the people are actually really friendly, well they were to paul holmes (he's a kiwi) I really don't think it would be much different being an american bro. I say go for it. Mind you i go for anything thats free lol

Edited by RowdoggNZ

Wow dude...Israel. The Holy Land. I got an offer to go to Alaska once and took 'em up on it. It was the best thing I've done in a long time, even though the work sucked and I had problems. Who knows, I may never be able to go back again and see it. ;)

Yea...I'm going as long as that 6 month thing is that theres 6 months left on the visa and not had to have it 6 month's prior to going...I've talked with quite a few people that have been in the last year or so and said its awesome and it's really not all that bad...I guess I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I go do the "get the passport quick" thing

well it looks like I got cut from the trip...some other work came up here at the office so they changed plans on me right after getting back from submitting all my passport stuff...so at least they're still getting my passport for me and are planning to send me on some trips in the near future but it sucks that I had finally gotten all the information researched and was ready for the trip...

C'est la vie

well it looks like I got cut from the trip...some other work came up here at the office so they changed plans on me right after getting back from submitting all my passport stuff...so at least they're still getting my passport for me and are planning to send me on some trips in the near future but it sucks that I had finally gotten all the information researched and was ready for the trip...

C'est la vie

Dude that sucks. One of my good friends that I grew up has been over for there for 2 or so years as a teacher & he loves it. He said that the people there love Americans cause they feel that we are one of the only countries that has their back (I mean you figure that Israel is like what 70% or so Jewish & the adjacent countries around them are Muslim & hate them, not a good feeling). They aren't in a constant state of war but they are ready at the drop of a hat if need be & don't let your patriotism fool you, Israel has the best & most badass soldiers in the world, second to none. Plus they have 17% of the worlds nuclear warheads, which is third in the world behind I believe China & then the US, which is like one of the only "bargaining chips" they possess to keep everyone around them at bay ("Oh yeah, you want to throw some bombs at us well he have nukes asswipe!").

Our American media likes to show Israelis as a bunch of bullies & the poor little Palestinians are the victims, what a load of BS. Anyway, it's a shame you weren't able to go (cause I really could've used an auto-shear from a full-auto or select fire AK-47). Better luck next time.

C'est la vie

Time to check on that other lead you have. Maybe they'll change their mind if you quit. Maybe put the brown noser who stole your spot and got them to tell you the more work story back in the office" .