HELP! SPARK PLUG GASKETS STUCK

wty

To the wisdom of the group,

I was able to loosen the original spark plugs with 105K miles ok, but the problem is some of them are coming out without the gasket! The gaskets appear to be corroded to the heads down in the hole!!!

Any ideas on this?

Thanks for any help!

Wayne

Edited by wty

first, did you blow out the holes with compressed air before you removed the plugs? if so, go ahead and stick a long flat head screw driver down there and try to loosen it up. Also... go ahead and put back the plugs a few turns and fill up the holes with penetrating lube.... wow that doesnt sound right. lol

Edited by yozsi

if you mean the threaded part has seperated from the white part and is left in the head, you will need a tool called and extractor to remove it. These tools are sometimes called easyouts. They look like this:

Easy%20Out.jpg

take care not to break the easyout off in the head otherwise you're really be snookered

you can avoid stuck plugs by applying anti-sieze compound to the plug thread prior to installing

Edited by skrillaguerilla

go to the store and buy whats called a back tap. use it, b4 you get it out far enough to see the treads take a scibe, a tool steel poker or thin screwdriver and jab @ the gasket. hammering the poker and using PB blaster Penitrating oil will help.

once the gasket is free finsh removing the backtap with the gasket on it.

you now have it off w/ no extra dirt in the engine.

yoszi, i did blow it out, but there's still some gunk near the bottom - it was probably protected from the air blasts somewhat by the way the plug sits so snugly in the space or something...

skrill, the plugs came out fine - it's just the gasket that's stuck to the head.

my1path, that's an interesting tool - is it usable in the x? One thing I'm finding really irritating about the way they designed this motor is that the plug well is so deep it's hard to do anything with it - forget about climbing around just to see what's going on...

Thank you all for the advice so far!

I would screw the plug carefully back into the hole and attempt to use a long thin-bladed screwdriver to pop loose the crush gasket that's stuck to the hole. Blow out the hole before removing the plug, that way crud won't fall into the cylinder and damage anything. If you lube everything up the crud has more of a chance of sticking to the plug, then falling off into the cylinder when you pull it out. Everything should blow out if it stays dry.

Some plugs do not come with a crush gasket, are you absolutely sure they're stuck in the heads?

They are NGK. one had the crush washer fully attached, one had the crush washer halfway off when I got it out, one had it about 1/3 off, the other three came out without it....stu*d @ss 100K interval...

They might have had anti-seize on the thread, but it sure didn't help the crush washer any...

• 2 months later...

Had a similar issue...

Bought my path from a car lot that had it traded in by a hispanic fellow...of whom I have met. He is a relatively decent mechanic, and does good work.

Now my truck had been running just down right rough, terrible MPG's (9 to be exact) and would hardly stay running while at red lights etc....

So I slowly begin to gather the parts for a tune up of sorts...(plugs, wires, cap, rotor etc)

So I go to pull the plugs...1 breaks off...OUCH....2 have the washer issues....and the rest look like someone superheated them with a torch.

Used the easy out method...until it stopped working...then pulled the head. GAH. Anyway...long story short...this isnt the first time ive seen a set of BOSCH plugs become a huge problem...

NGK all the way in any Nissan...