Fog Light Wiring Question

PDCCD

Alright, in anticipation of building my rear bumper this spring, i've finally sucked it up an ordered my ARB Sahara from 4Wparts (at a great price). Well, i'll be waiting a bit for it to arrive (4-6weeks) but my IPF light set arrived today. My question to those who have it already, or have installed other brands/types; can i wire this into the current OEM fog lights on my 02' SE? Just cut off the stock set when i do the bumper and wire these in their place. Then the factory switch on the blinker will work for the new lights. Nice and clean, or no? Will they fry the stock wiring? Will the Relay be effective? Arb claims in the kit, that the relay they include is unique to them, "special dual polarity unit with spike protection for prevention of damage to vehicle electronics", and "failure to use the correct relays will cause serious damage and failure of components." Can i just swap the OEM relay being used with this one? Plug and play so to speak?

Sorry if these are silly NEWB questions, i just haven't done any wiring on my pathy (except for the CB) and my last vehicle was a bit older, and less electronics were involved.

Thanks for any help or advice, as usual.

Pete

The OEM fog lights are def. on a relay....but I would only use the OEM fog wiring to turn on your IPF wiring kit relay...I think that is what XPLORx4 was trying to say.

The OEM wiring may put up with the IPF's running off of it, but it would not give them good enough juice to be as bright as they could be! So use the OEM power wire on the passenger side to turn on your relay for the IPF's and then run your new harness right from the battery power and ground to get ultra bright clean power!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Congrats on the bumper you lucky son-of-a-monkey!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

i ordered an ARB bumper for my 00 Pathy about 2 weeks ago, and it's slated to be ready to be picked up at my local 4WP store in early June. let's see who gets theirs first!

anyhow, i plan on installing the recessed fog lamps in place of the current fogs. i'll most likely just snip off the old harness and splice it in. i don't know how many amps the circuit is fused at, but i doubt the new IPF lights are that much more powerful, considering they are fog lamps, and aren't that incredibly powerful. if all else fails, i will wire directly to battery and use their supplied relay, but still use the stalk switch like normal.

i also plan on adding some additional lamps (IPF 960?) and again will not follow the directions. i think they want me to wire it into the hi-beam circuit, but i want to be able to use them independently of all my other lights. i'll probably use the same switched power (i.e. it's only powered when the key is ON) as the headlights, but have the ground switch (the control) separate and capable of turning on/off the additional lights, regardless of the headlights/fogs being on or off.

the most important part is to not wire directly to battery; if you did, the circuit would always be live and it opens the possibility of leaving them on when the truck is off.

PDCCD...I'm sorry that I backed out of selling my ARB to you. I hope this one works out great for you.

I don't think that the IPF lights this same wiring loom that I've got but I would think they will come with some sort of wiring kit. Here's the one that I used to install my IPFs.

537073950_Picture%20015.jpg

It's a very nice loom from ARB. I know you're trying to avoid doing a bunch of wiring. I can't remember how many watts the stock foglights are. Are the new ones your ordered 55 watts?

The OEM fog lights are def. on a relay....but I would only use the OEM fog wiring to turn on your IPF wiring kit relay...I think that is what XPLORx4 was trying to say.

The OEM wiring may put up with the IPF's running off of it, but it would not give them good enough juice to be as bright as they could be! So use the OEM power wire on the passenger side to turn on your relay for the IPF's and then run your new harness right from the battery power and ground to get ultra bright clean power!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~Congrats on the bumper you lucky son-of-a-monkey!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Guys! Yeah, i was just trying to be lazy, and minimize the excess wiring floating around the engine bay by using what was there. I understand now how that's not ideal, so i'll do it as suggested and use just the factory stalk switch and everything ARB/IPF from there.

As for lucky son of a monkey :tongue: , No luck, lots of overtime lol. It had to happen, i've been kicking it around for two years (since you guys got me hooked on NPORA) and with a lot of research and haggling i got a good deal. Now the LONG wait for it to arrive from Australia. I've got a M8000 warn that's been sitting around for a year waiting for a bumper, so get ready for more wiring questions, probably around July :lmao:. That, and hopefully next week i'll start fabing a rear bumper/tire carrier to keep me busy while i wait. :bounce:

Oh, and if anyone else is shopping for one, pm me and i'll share my experience and sales guy with you. I contacted nearly all of the retailers that sold the ARB for our trucks in my research, and i might be able to save you some time/frustration/money.

Thanks again.

Pete

i ordered an ARB bumper for my 00 Pathy about 2 weeks ago, and it's slated to be ready to be picked up at my local 4WP store in early June. let's see who gets theirs first!

LOL, like i said, i researched this to death. You and I will be getting them at the same time (relatively speaking), as they're coming in the same shipping container from Australia to ARB usa, and to us from there. Now lets see if the estimated delivery date is accurate. I'm not holding my breath, are you? Oh, and i bet i paid less than you :tongue:

anyhow, i plan on installing the recessed fog lamps in place of the current fogs. i'll most likely just snip off the old harness and splice it in. i don't know how many amps the circuit is fused at, but i doubt the new IPF lights are that much more powerful, considering they are fog lamps, and aren't that incredibly powerful. if all else fails, i will wire directly to battery and use their supplied relay, but still use the stalk switch like normal.

i also plan on adding some additional lamps (IPF 960?) and again will not follow the directions. i think they want me to wire it into the hi-beam circuit, but i want to be able to use them independently of all my other lights. i'll probably use the same switched power (i.e. it's only powered when the key is ON) as the headlights, but have the ground switch (the control) separate and capable of turning on/off the additional lights, regardless of the headlights/fogs being on or off.

the most important part is to not wire directly to battery; if you did, the circuit would always be live and it opens the possibility of leaving them on when the truck is off.

Good point that last one, thank you.

PDCCD...I'm sorry that I backed out of selling my ARB to you. I hope this one works out great for you.

No worries, i'm not out anything except a little time, and your out some reputation, at least in my book. But your apology goes a long way, so thanks for that...finally LOL. :tonguefinger:

I don't think that the IPF lights this same wiring loom that I've got but I would think they will come with some sort of wiring kit. Here's the one that I used to install my IPFs.

537073950_Picture%20015.jpg

It's a very nice loom from ARB. I know you're trying to avoid doing a bunch of wiring. I can't remember how many watts the stock foglights are. Are the new ones your ordered 55 watts?

Yes, they're 55 watts. I don't mind the work, just don't like wasting my time if it isn't necessary, but it appears that it is in this case. Your right though, their loom seems to be of good quality. I only hope the actual lamp holds up better than those you have, i've read how you haven't been impressed with them.

I can't work over time...I'm S(crewed)alaried! Between my gear swap and getting my paint fixed from backing into my table saw...I may be hosed this year for mods....we shall see! I wanted skids and light weight rims for my Summer...oh well, I can live vicariously through you!! Thanks man!!

LOL, like i said, i researched this to death. You and I will be getting them at the same time (relatively speaking), as they're coming in the same shipping container from Australia to ARB usa, and to us from there. Now lets see if the estimated delivery date is accurate. I'm not holding my breath, are you? Oh, and i bet i paid less than you

they told me early june, so i expect it to get here early june. my salesman calls me every week with detailed updates so no i'm not holding my breath. and i really couldn't care less about how much you paid, whether it's more or (probably) less than i paid. i don't mind paying extra to buy from a reputable corporation with the convenience of a store 10min away, instead of having to deal with them over the phone should there be any complications. plus, my local store sells it for considerably less than every online/local retailer, and they aren't charging me for shipping from michigan to houston; they have to ship it regardless, so they're even shipping it directly to my house.

but ya, i should've spent those extra few days calling dozens of places, just to save a few hundred bucks. that would be perfect, because then i could use that money to pay for the freight!

/sarcasm

I didn't mean to say I wasn't happy with my IPFs as they always worked very well for their intended purpose. I never expected some 55 watt fogs to be blinding but they did give some extra lighting. The only issue I've had is the lights are filled with water.

Fortunately wiring up the winch is probably the simplest thing you will ever do.

they told me early june, so i expect it to get here early june. my salesman calls me every week with detailed updates so no i'm not holding my breath. and i really couldn't care less about how much you paid, whether it's more or (probably) less than i paid. i don't mind paying extra to buy from a reputable corporation with the convenience of a store 10min away, instead of having to deal with them over the phone should there be any complications. plus, my local store sells it for considerably less than every online/local retailer, and they aren't charging me for shipping from michigan to houston; they have to ship it regardless, so they're even shipping it directly to my house.

but ya, i should've spent those extra few days calling dozens of places, just to save a few hundred bucks. that would be perfect, because then i could use that money to pay for the freight!

/sarcasm

LOL, easy bud. I didn't mean to rub you the wrong way. I was only attempting to joke with ya. One of the reasons i don't post alot, I suck at conveying my sense of humor with the black and white (or red) on a computer screen. As for the holding my/your breath thing, there's two guys in the country who've ordered these, you and I. I think i saw you post elsewhere that you ordered it a couple weeks ago, and they told you 4-6 weeks. When i talked to my salesman from 4WP's he said that they get items from ARB australia by the shipping container, and that they had one sahara bar already sitting in one. They don't ship it till it's full. He told me 4-6 weeks also. So you ordered yours two weeks ago, i ordered mine late last week, we were both told 4-6 weeks, but they're leaving at the same time from australia. Either yours will be on time and mine early, or yours will be late and mine on time, or lastly, it'll get here when they place enough arb orders to fill a shipping container, whenever that is. Not trying to be pessimistic, it just from previous experience, they've got my money, they don't care when i want it. Maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised. Kinda a plan for the worst and hope for the best mentality on my end.

as for the extra few days calling sarcasm, it was a couple of hours, and i figure i spent a few hundred bucks less than MAP. That's a full day of overtime less i'll have to work, worth a couple of hours on the phone in my book. And they're paying shipping. But i didn't want this to be a na na thing, I was just ribbing you. I assumed your "we'll see who get theirs first" as the same. sorry for that.

Pete

Edited by PDCCD

LOL, easy bud. I didn't mean to rub you the wrong way. I was only attempting to joke with ya. One of the reasons i don't post alot, I suck at conveying my sense of humor with the black and white (or red) on a computer screen. As for the holding my/your breath thing, there's two guys in the country who've ordered these, you and I. I think i saw you post elsewhere that you ordered it a couple weeks ago, and they told you 4-6 weeks. When i talked to my salesman from 4WP's he said that they get items from ARB australia by the shipping container, and that they had one sahara bar already sitting in one. They don't ship it till it's full. He told me 4-6 weeks also. So you ordered yours two weeks ago, i ordered mine late last week, we were both told 4-6 weeks, but they're leaving at the same time from australia. Either yours will be on time and mine early, or yours will be late and mine on time, or lastly, it'll get here when they place enough arb orders to fill a shipping container, whenever that is. Not trying to be pessimistic, it just from previous experience, they've got my money, they don't care when i want it. Maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised. Kinda a plan for the worst and hope for the best mentality on my end.

as for the extra few days calling sarcasm, it was a couple of hours, and i figure i spent a few hundred bucks less than MAP. That's a full day of overtime less i'll have to work, worth a couple of hours on the phone in my book. And they're paying shipping. But i didn't want this to be a na na thing, I was just ribbing you. I assumed your "we'll see who get theirs first" as the same. sorry for that.

Pete

Sorry about that.

heh, it sure is difficult to properly and accurately convey sarcasm through mere text. i guess we have the same brash sense of humor. ;) either that or we both need to use more smilies... :itsallgood:B):tongue: i can see how my "we'll see who gets theirs first" comment would naturally have a negative (and not humorous) tone.

as for the bumper. i ordered mine specifically on the 22nd of april, and they told me 6-8wks, which correlates perfectly with you ordering 2wks after me, and being given a delivery estimate of 4-6wks. it's funny though that the "other one" your 4WP salesman mentioned was mine. i would say it's a small world, but it's really not - not on an international internet forum. when my salesman spoke with ARB in michigan, they told him that their last one was sold not even a week before i ordered mine. it's not a high-demand item so they don't keep many in stock. if i had ordered one week before i did, i would've had mine at my doorstep in 4 days. instead, i have to wait pretty much 2 months! ugh

and i actually requested them to not deliver to my house, because my work schedule is so hectic. i work 12hr shifts at the hospital, so it'd be easier for me to just pick it up at the store. one more thing: it's stupid that the fog lamps are not included with the bumper. do you think only the IPF fogs will fit/mount? did you order the IPF lights, or are you going aftermarket or none at all?

:beer:

I didn't mean to say I wasn't happy with my IPFs as they always worked very well for their intended purpose. I never expected some 55 watt fogs to be blinding but they did give some extra lighting. The only issue I've had is the lights are filled with water.

Fortunately wiring up the winch is probably the simplest thing you will ever do.

what size are the lamps? is it a universal fitment? for $330 (or even much less) i can probably get a set of fogs that fit just as well, but perform even better..

what size are the lamps? is it a universal fitment? for $330 (or even much less) i can probably get a set of fogs that fit just as well, but perform even better..

thanks for understanding. :beer:

As for the lights, they're 6"x3"deep. The only issue with buying another brand might be the mounting interface. Here's a pic:

img1180yg6.th.jpg

From what i can gather from the instructions, those two franken-bolts sticking out mount inside some slots in the bumper. Not sure how other fogs would mount without them which is why they rape us over a barrel for them i'm guessing lol. I can't figure how they'd be worth the

$300 i payed. Hope that helps.

Pete

Edited by PDCCD