Knob with engine pic on dash?

marbiol

I've just bought a 1991 Terrano R3M (TD27) and it has a little pull out knob on the dash next to the rear wiper switch (just below the steering wheel). It has what looks like a picture of an engine on it.

Does anyone know what it might be?

I'm going to take a pic and post it here later today.

Cheers...

**Does anyone have an owners manual (not the service manual) that might help me identify all of the controls inside here?**

I've just bought a 1991 Terrano R3M (TD27) and it has a little pull out knob on the dash next to the rear wiper switch (just below the steering wheel). It has what looks like a picture of an engine on it.

Does anyone know what it might be?

I'm going to take a pic and post it here later today.

Cheers...

**Does anyone have an owners manual (not the service manual) that might help me identify all of the controls inside here?**

Welcome to NPORA bud. :welcome: Not really sure what the button is, but I'm sure someone on here will be able to help ya.

A choke on a 91?!! What's a TD27? Diesel?

Yep it's a 2.7 turbo diesel...

There are only two positions - in and out - it's not like a choke where there's usually some adjustment space in the movement...

Thought it might be an additional fan/cooling switch but can't see anything in the engine bay...

Will get the pic up in an hour or two (I'll have my camera back then).

Cheers,

glow plugs on/off switch?

Doesn't seem to be (can't think of why it might do that)... I haven't been able to work out if it does anything at all...

In the pic, the knob is in the middle. (the toggle switch on the right is for the spots).

post-5317-1209882931_thumb.jpg

Doesn't seem to be (can't think of why it might do that)... I haven't been able to work out if it does anything at all...

In the pic, the knob is in the middle. (the toggle switch on the right is for the spots).

post-5317-1209882931_thumb.jpg

It is the manual idle speed adjuster. Should be a ratchet sort of action on it when you pull it out, you twist it in one direction to release it.

True, all of the other stock stuff is like a faded brown color. That knob is bright black.

:omg: Its stock. :tired: All TD27's have these. Regardless of the dash surrounding colour schemes, the knobs are black.

:omg: Its stock. :tired: All TD27's have these. Regardless of the dash surrounding colour schemes, the knobs are black.

:aok: Pete. It's also known as an Idle up switch. For times when you need a higher idle :beer:

I have a 1991 Terrano r3m Turbo and yes i have that knob in the exact same place and yes it is an idle speed controller from what i gather. I know if you have a diesel engine and you are operating hydraulic equipment or something you need to increase the idle speed with the control in question. So the engine doesn't stall out. Maybe for using winches or something i'm not too sure to be honest.