anyone know where i can get a strong metal step rail?

okay... i would like to have a step rail and some side protection and ofcourse at a modest price? anyone? ofcourse the side rail must be strong so it will not just fly off or bend in the middle at the first sight of a 4x4 trail. i do get caught in the middle of my frame on tight trails and my wheels are in the air.

if i can find one i get i will start making calls for a custom job with 3" or 2" pipes.

thanks.

coucoui 6

• 2 weeks later...

okay .... i found another shop to custom make a slide rail for me for $400.00 on both sides. here is my problem. he only want to use one 1.75" steel tubing to run the length of the cab and matching size tube to weld to the frame. to the frame he will use 4 legs to secure the hold. that is good to increase strength.

but will the 1.75" tubing might look funny or is a good enough? i know that steel tubing is very strong. not very sure if that is a good deal? my previous shop just flat quoted me a higher price this time? he was thinking about the cost of newer and nicer jeep or domestic truck, aftermarket part, prices as a comparison.

so i know that 4x4parts.com has a slide rail for about that price but i would still have to pay for shipping and for someone to weld it on.

thanks for your input.

Edited by Coucoui6

here is an update to my current situation... i have a patient that is a contractor and owns a welder ... he is willing to build me some simple but effective sliders with 2" square tubing. i think will have it extend out far enough to be a step rail as well. i think i want only one long 5' square tube with four legs to attach to the frame. i think i will have the rail about 2" to 3" beyond the cab for a foot hold.

looking for opinions .... do anyone have comments on the length i want the rail to stick out for the step? and i think a 2" square tubing would look better?"

thanks,

coucoui 6

The set on my 93 are made from 2" square tube. They are attached to the frame by 3 "legs" that have a plate that is welded to the frame. Mine are kind of tight in, but can be used as a step, I have thought about adding a short second piece of tube under each door for a step point, but never did it.

93frame022.jpg

The set on my 93 are made from 2" square tube. They are attached to the frame by 3 "legs" that have a plate that is welded to the frame. Mine are kind of tight in, but can be used as a step, I have thought about adding a short second piece of tube under each door for a step point, but never did it.

thanks for the picture... so how far does your tube stick out beyond the doors?

thanks again.

coucoui 6

Edited by Coucoui6