Tow Receiver Installation Help Needed (95 Path)

ID95PATH

Hey Everyone.

I'm installing a receiver on my 95 Pathfinder and ran into a problem maybe someone can give me some advice on. I ordered the receiver from J.C. Whitney and it's made by Curt Manufacturing. I'm overall pleased with the unit with two exceptions.

1.) It is advertised as "No Drilling Required" and on the instruction sheet is also says "NO DRILLING REQ." About 4 inches from that text on the same page are the words "Using the hitch as a template drill out the front mounting hole to 17/32" (Personally, I find this more humorous than annoying)

2.) Here is my problem. The instructions say "Fishwire a carriage bolt and spacer through the access slot located on the inside of the frame rail near the gas tank and out the front mounting hole location." My problem is there is no access slot anywhere big enough for the bolt (much less the spacer). Not on the inside, outside, top, or bottom. Not near the gas tank, not not-so-near the gas tank. Nowhere.

So I guess I need to make one and my plan is to drill a hole and then file it out just big enough for the bolt and spacer. The spacer is required to keep the bolt from turning. My question is would it better on the bottom or side? I suppose the top is possible but not the easiest.

Maybe now would be a good time to have some strategically placed frame rot!

Thanks!

My frame had a nice convienient rust hole on the sides right by the front mounts for mine. I just welded the nut to the rectangular inner frame piece that came in the part kit, and slid it into the frame and bolted up throught the botom of the frame into it.

I too bought a hitch made by CURT, I got it on EBAY.

So.. I have the same issue, per the inst, it said to fish hook the bolt. whatver, I have a box frame and I do not have any holes big enough for me to drop the bolt. What I did is, put the bolts that came with the kit aside, aligned the hitch holes to the frame,marked it with a sharpie, brought out the 1/2 drill with a level guide and drilled a hole from the bottom of the frame to the top. Went to home depot and bought some GRADE 8, zinc plated nuts and bolts, long enought for it to pass thru the frame+hitch mount do not forget the washers. Installed my wonderful hitch+new hardware.

I am at work right now so I cannot give you pictures, but it is a pretty simple install the only hard part is lying down on your back and having this giant drill close to your body trying to make a straight hole. I have to stop every so often coz my arms get tired being in a weird angle and stuff, but it is a simple fix

or you can weld it to the frame.. hehehe Have fun!

oh yeah after drilling, spray the holes that you did with a primer and some rust prevention stuff.

IB

Edited by ISlandBoy