$755 for 02 sensors?

PDCCD

Well, after pulling another 0158 code (second time) and getting sub 10mpg for a few weeks, i decided it's time to replace the 02 sensors. So i did what a good forum member should and performed a search. Found it's a common problem, and i had some options. I can go with Bosh universals off of ebay for $30 shipped, but in one of the threads, Vengeful advised using only OEM. Now Veng knows his stuff, and i also found mention of a TSB for my 2002 R50 sensors in another thread. So I call the dealer today to inquire as to how much to install new 02's and reprogram the ECM as per the TSB. The guy quoted me $755!! Just for the rear two sensors. Now of the 4, those two have got to be the easiest to get done/get at. So wtf am i missing? Does this sound crazy to anyone else? Does anyone know the Manufacturer of the OEM sensors? And does anyone have an online source for them? How about suggestions for doing it myself? I have no problem doing it myself, i just want to use the right parts, and i'm not sure what to do about the ECM re-programing. I'd also love to get some reasonable gas mileage again. I'm doing mostly city driving lately, but man, come on lol.

thanks for any help.

Pete

I believe the manufacturer is NTK. I've used NTK sensors in both of my WD21's with no ill affects. I believe Vengeful was referring more to using direct replacement sensors, as opposed to the universal ones, where splicing is required.

thry this. This site is where I get all of my replacement factory Like parts for my 97 R50. I did the front 2 O2 sensors for about 330. I bought the parts and then had the dealer install them. I used denso's and they so far have worked great. I am going on 10,000 miles now with them W/O Problem. also if you spend more than 50.00 its free shipping and it normally takes about 2-3 days to get them. I have been useing AUTOHAUSAZ.com for several years now and rate them well.

I even did the leg work for you and the link is to the O2 sensor listings for an 02 R50.

http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autohausaz/d...Oxygen%20Sensor

Edited by mikeysentra

you mentioned ecm reprogram, maybe the big chunk of that is having that done through them, unless i misunderstand you, i know from maxima research that ecm programming is quite spendy.

What constitutes the reprogram? I thought that was not necessary but fore the 01 models where the ECM was heating the O2's up too hot too fast and shortening their lives. I don't think that the 2002 needs a re program....just quit using cheap gas! JK mang! :tongue:

But, please if I'm wrong help me out, I was fairly sure it was just 01.

There is a TSB for the 2002 Pathfinder that includes reprogramming the ECM in case of rear O2 sensor DTC codes. The TSB# is NTB03-011.

I had my ECM reprogrammed for my 2001 Pathfinder (called for by a similar but different TSB# NTB02-006.) It fell under the long-term federal emissions warranty of 8 years, so I wanted it done free. The dealer wouldn't do it without changing the O2 sensor also, which is no longer under its warranty. But we made an agreement: he'd do the ECM for free (0.5hr labor), and I'd give him top marks when I got the customer satisfaction survey from Nissan Corporation. I should mention that the dealer was also going to take care of the fuel filler tube recall at the same time, so ultimately the dealer will get money out of my service visit when he charges Nissan for the recall work.

I believe the rear O2 sensors aren't used in the engine control loop. They're just for monitoring the health of the catalytic converter. As such, low miles-per-gallon problems aren't due to bad rear O2 sensors.

The rear O2 sensors are easy to access, but have you seen what you have to go through to route the cable to the connector? I'm seriously thinking I'll use the cheaper universal sensor and splice it to the existing cable. I think splicing would be easier than routing. Maybe that's part of the huge cost your dealer quoted: properly re-doing those all cable-mounts has got to be labor intensive. And since the rear O2 sensors aren't used for controlling the engine, there should be no performance degradation issues we sometimes worry about when using non-OEM parts.

There is a TSB for the 2002 Pathfinder that includes reprogramming the ECM in case of rear O2 sensor DTC codes. The TSB# is NTB03-011.

I had my ECM reprogrammed for my 2001 Pathfinder (called for by a similar but different TSB# NTB02-006.) It fell under the long-term federal emissions warranty of 8 years, so I wanted it done free. The dealer wouldn't do it without changing the O2 sensor also, which is no longer under its warranty. But we made an agreement: he'd do the ECM for free (0.5hr labor), and I'd give him top marks when I got the customer satisfaction survey from Nissan Corporation. I should mention that the dealer was also going to take care of the fuel filler tube recall at the same time, so ultimately the dealer will get money out of my service visit when he charges Nissan for the recall work.

I believe the rear O2 sensors aren't used in the engine control loop. They're just for monitoring the health of the catalytic converter. As such, low miles-per-gallon problems aren't due to bad rear O2 sensors.

The rear O2 sensors are easy to access, but have you seen what you have to go through to route the cable to the connector? I'm seriously thinking I'll use the cheaper universal sensor and splice it to the existing cable. I think splicing would be easier than routing. Maybe that's part of the huge cost your dealer quoted: properly re-doing those all cable-mounts has got to be labor intensive. And since the rear O2 sensors aren't used for controlling the engine, there should be no performance degradation issues we sometimes worry about when using non-OEM parts.

thanks for the reply guys. Here's the quote from that post of vengence about the bosch sensors. I'll have to pm him for clarification.

I wouldn't recommend using the Bosch sensors. Nissans are EXTREMELY picky when it comes to sensors and the Nissan ECM seems to prefer getting data from a Nissan OE Part. I tried the Bosch sensors on my truck and it kinda fixed it but I still got crummy mileage. After replacing them with Nissan sensors, I'm up to 18.5mpg highway with 32s. :o

The Nissan ECM wants to see the data in a sine wave format, the Bosch sensors only put it out in a box wave. As in everything else, you get what you pay for. Go with Nissan.

Here's a link too, maybe he's referring to the o2's prior to the cat?

O2 sensor

If it isn't in the engine loop, then frig it. I'll reset it and take 02silvers advice and stop using cheap gas (as if there's such a thing LOL) and see how long it stays off for. Still can't figure why the gas mileage is sooo bad. I know about winter blends and ethanol. I know i'm rolling AT 31's and 3:6 gearing. I've cleaned the MAF, and i even want to change the coolant temp sensor and bought the part, but in a 3.5 i can't figure out how to get to it. It's between the engine and the fire wall, near impossible to get to , i can barely see it! On the cheap gas issue, in the fall it tried all three octanes available to me, and tracked my mileage carefully, and noted no difference in mileage between the three. :shrug: I know it's all city driving since my recent move, but i'm BARELY getting 200 miles to a tank. I've gotten no other CEL's. Thankfully i'll be riding my bicycle to work this summer. this is nuts...