Starter Question

jmj4

i was trying to find the source of an oil leak last night and in the process tore off what appears to be a breather tube from the bottom of the starter's cover. btw, it looks as of this rubber tube which is around 2" long has baffles in it, which i assume is to prevent dirt/water, etc. from getting back into the starter's casing. also, my rubber wheel well shroud is long gone. only pieces remain.

1. anything to be concerned about?

2. if so, do i have to buy the whole starter cover or is it something i can buy individually and do i have to remove the starter to install?

3. if i do have to buy the cover as a whole, do i have to remove the starter to remove/reinstall?

sorry for such a vague description. thanks in advance.

thanks for the replies. i just didn't want to have any problems down the road. i bought her off the lot in late 95 and now almost 13 years later she's still goin strong w/ the exception of a few oil leaks. i've always run 10w30 conventional in her, would going to 40 weight help? these leaks were why i was under neath the other night trying to find the source(s) and accidentally broke that tube off.

thanks for the replies. i just didn't want to have any problems down the road. i bought her off the lot in late 95 and now almost 13 years later she's still goin strong w/ the exception of a few oil leaks. i've always run 10w30 conventional in her, would going to 40 weight help? these leaks were why i was under neath the other night trying to find the source(s) and accidentally broke that tube off.

run whatever oil is best for your pathy.. nothing will stop an oil leak (I should know) have you tried to wipe off all the oil, run er til she gets warm then try to locate the leak? if it's pass side i'd be suspicious of the OPS, valve cover and oil filter

yer fine without the tube, i lost mine a while ago and it hasn't hurt anything (and my inner fender mud guards have been missing for years)

I just rebuilt my starter... pulled chunks of dirt out of it that got injected through that drain hole when I was muddin'.

screw the tube... you don't need it.

more concerned about the Oil Leak... Just above and a little behind the starter is the Oil Sending Unit... they have been known to blow... One of my many starter changes is directly related to that leaking...

You can see it between the fender well and the frame... but cant get to it unless you got a body lift.... When it leaks, it is very obvious while your running....

i just replaced the rear main, oil pan and valve cover gaskets. Thought everything was good (it is better). Didn't have a drop of oil for about the first 500 miles. Then the other night before i got in i noticed a good size puddle. Crawled underneath and noticed a drip under the drive belts around the front main seal. The puddle was toward the front of the engine but couldn't determine cause of the skid plate. That's what got me trying to clean things and figuring where it was coming from. The passenger side under the valve covers around the is covered but i can't tell if that was from before the gasket work. I did see the oil pressure switch (orange boot) but again everything over there is covered. I was beginning to wonder if i was getting to much back pressure in the engine and therefore need to replace the pcv valve. Any thoughts? I don't get a drop every time i run it, but i've also been trying to keep my rpms down to see if that makes a difference.