Knock sensor in valley

beastpath

I could almost cry!

I recieved my 2nd remanufactured engine on thursday from the freight company, measured the crank to make sure it was the right size, and took it home.

Got everything set up again, started pulling apart my old one and cleaning things, and transfering them over to the new one.

Boy oh boy was I excited, everything seemed to be coming together, and we got a lot done.

Today we went out to do more of the same, but after a while words of doom were spoken.

"Houston, we have a problem."

There is no bolt hole for the Knock Sensor on the new engine!!! And indeed no Knock sensor as I believed all reman engines came with.

On the original its in the valley at the back, as I'm sure most of you know.

My questions are: has anyone relocated the knock sensor, and if so where? and what are the shortcomings of relocation, if any?

Any help would be great, I really dont want to return another engine, especially after all the work thats already been done.

87-89's have no knock sensor to begin with. I bet you could simply leave it unplugged and it won't make any difference.

Was wondering if that would work too.

But wouldn't a 91 ECU find a fault and turn the check engine light on?

you can relocate the knock sensor anywhere on the block. hell, i have relocated one to the intake manifold and the back of the cylinder head before for customers that wanted to save money.