Stock Airbox Mods

jdub

THis is carried from the thread in the 90-95 Pathfinder about the AC Headers.

IT has been brought up by Mr. Pickles that if you do the K&N cone filter you will have extra enging heat getting through your filter rather then having the stock airbox collecting air from the outside. So lets see what you have done to help the situation.

Here is my stock air box, I removed the pipe that runs from the airbox along the top of the radiator. Indicated by the red and purple arrows. And the green arrows are where air comes into the airbox.

post-9-1088609219.jpg

Here is my stock air box, I removed the pipe that runs from the airbox along the top of the radiator. Indicated by the red and purple arrows.

Exactly, that's what I was trying to describe. I used that to run directly behind the headlight.

So you just hacked that up and put it in place of the other one that goes out to the front? Hope I didn't chuck it.

What did you plug the hole up with from that piece? I used duct tape :D

So you just hacked that up and put it in place of the other one that goes out to the front? Hope I didn't chuck it.

What did you plug the hole up with from that piece? I used duct tape :D

Naw, I used a different rubber hose type thing lying around and clamped it onto the hole that the plastic pipe you're talking about mounted to. Didn't have to plug anything up.

Naw, I used a different rubber hose type thing lying around and clamped it onto the hole that the plastic pipe you're talking about mounted to. Didn't have to plug anything up.

So you have two places where air comes into the airbox from behind the airbox? Did you do anything about the inlet that comes from inside the fender wall?

So you have two places where air comes into the airbox from behind the airbox? Did you do anything about the inlet that comes from inside the fender wall?

Yep and nope. Haven't touched the one going to the fender. I've been thinking about using a larger pipe there with a Y going to both the fender and straight ahead. Then putting a threaded end behind the headlight so I can cap it when going off road.

That's a little off topic isn't it 88? :D

Well, Over the weekend I capped off the inlet of the airbox that comes from the fender wall so that I only have one inlet going into the airbox.

After I did the mod, I went to start it and it didn't start, just a nice clicking sound.

Time for a new battery.

I couldn't figure that out myself, that's why I removed it.

It had to of sucked warm air into the airbox, which is stupid, but was easy enough to remove so I did.

Yours is sealed? That's weird, it was open on mine.

Mine was sealed as well. With the pipes opened, I hear a bit of a rushing/sucking sound, which I don't mind at all. I've got something in mind to try soon hopefully. I'll post when I try it, it would be a pain to 'splain.

So, when looking at my original photo the end where the purple arrow is wasn't open? Or am I just slow today and missing something?

Yep, I think there was a plug or something. Its been 2 years since I messed with that, though. The whole thing just takes up space anyways. P...