Crankshaft size?

beastpath

Ok, so some of you know I'm putting a remanufactured engine in my pathy. Well, I got the longblock yesterday, and today started to transplant pieces. Well, I have found that the crank on my old engine has a .985" diameter where it meets the dampener, and the one on the new engine is 1.260". Have any of you experienced this problem when you have replaced your engines?? Can I just get a replacement dampener?

Also I noticed the oil pump on my new engine is different than that of the old, in that the new one has tubes going off to the right as if you could connect to an oil cooler or something. Is this a function of newer/aftermarket oil pumps for our vehicles?

Everything else looks good though. If I can just get these issues figured out putting everything else on should be easy.

Thanks

James

Ok, so some of you know I'm putting a remanufactured engine in my pathy. Well, I got the longblock yesterday, and today started to transplant pieces. Well, I have found that the crank on my old engine has a .985" diameter where it meets the dampener, and the one on the new engine is 1.260". Have any of you experienced this problem when you have replaced your engines?? Can I just get a replacement dampener?

Also I noticed the oil pump on my new engine is different than that of the old, in that the new one has tubes going off to the right as if you could connect to an oil cooler or something. Is this a function of newer/aftermarket oil pumps for our vehicles?

Everything else looks good though. If I can just get these issues figured out putting everything else on should be easy.

Thanks

James

:lol: Well pics would help, but the VG33 I'm trying to rebuild at the moment has a thicker crank, different oil pump, water pump and pulley's and so on. If you got the engine I'm thinking of then it has a small water pump and nearly everthing attatched to the front of the engine is different...Sorry...But pics will confirm that :beer:

"putting everything else on should be easy." Never say that :lol:

:lol: Well pics would help, but the VG33 I'm trying to rebuild at the moment has a thicker crank, different oil pump, water pump and pulley's and so on. If you got the engine I'm thinking of then it has a small water pump and nearly everthing attatched to the front of the engine is different...Sorry...But pics will confirm that :beer:

"putting everything else on should be easy." Never say that :lol:

water pump is the same, so are all the pulleys at the front, and the crank is even the same at the back. Its just the new oil pump and crank at the dampener that is different. Even the bolt that fits into the crank is the same, the dampener just wont fit over the larger size.

I've got some pictures and will try to upload them

Damn shop is closed right now so I cant call to verify what I bought either.

:angry: every time i think im going to get stuff done on the engine something happens.

Have figured out through pictures from this website and measurements from others that the engine I in fact purchased is a VG33.

Before I exchange it for the VG30 I was curious how hard it would be to just use this block without removing the crank. From what I've read on other posts I wouldnt have to use the VG33 ecu, but I might have to use the pulleys from the newer engine. Would everything else fit on there? I know it should bolt to the transmission just fine.

Also would the headers I bought for the VG30 fit on the VG33?

Thanks

Have figured out through pictures from this website and measurements from others that the engine I in fact purchased is a VG33.

Before I exchange it for the VG30 I was curious how hard it would be to just use this block without removing the crank. From what I've read on other posts I wouldnt have to use the VG33 ecu, but I might have to use the pulleys from the newer engine. Would everything else fit on there? I know it should bolt to the transmission just fine.

Also would the headers I bought for the VG30 fit on the VG33?

Thanks

Unless the VG33 differs from country to country then the water pump is different along with a lot of stuff. My thread might help you :shrug:

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...mp;#entry288240

The headers should fit....95% sure

The oil pump and those pipes out the side go to an alloy filter housing (Well it did on mine) So the filter goes there and not on the side of the block. Sounds like you got some bits missing.

haha, i just read that thread before you posted this. I think I'm just going to exchange the blocks, for although I would love to put a VG33 in for some added power, i already have most of the bits for my VG30, and I'm broke and dont want to pay for the crank to be machined.

Or is it possible to just put the VG33 crank pulley on and leave everything else vg30?

Its remanufactured so i dont know if there would have been the alloy filter housing with it. And you are saying thats for the oil filter?? Then why is there a screw on location on the side.

I'm at work right now otherwise id post pics of what I mean.

haha, i just read that thread before you posted this. I think I'm just going to exchange the blocks, for although I would love to put a VG33 in for some added power, i already have most of the bits for my VG30, and I'm broke and dont want to pay for the crank to be machined.

Or is it possible to just put the VG33 crank pulley on and leave everything else vg30?

Its remanufactured so i dont know if there would have been the alloy filter housing with it. And you are saying thats for the oil filter?? Then why is there a screw on location on the side.

I'm at work right now otherwise id post pics of what I mean.

Yes the housing is for the filter as you can see in the 1st pic I put in my thread (Hanging off the front bottom of the engine)

On my engine the screw on filter is blocked off by a plate. I'd like to see some pic's.

You could try the VG33 pulley :shrug:

ok, so after a lot of research about it, I don't think I want to go for the VG33 conversion right now. In theory it sounds good, but I'm not familiar with VG33's, only have the VG30 accesories, and dont want to screw around with having things machined or replacing crankshafts etc. Dont really care about the power advantage, I've never had a problem getting anywhere or through everything with my pathy, and with headers, ignition system/wires/plugs upgrade, should get a moderate power boost. As long as my truck runs and is in good condition, i dont care much.

If anyone thinks I'm being stupid and am missing a big opportunity let me know, but you'd better have some good advice about the conversion, lol.

I will post pics of the two engine blocks together though Terrano NZ.