92 Thunderbird SC - Anyone have experience with these?

BobLoblaw

I used to have a 93 T-Bird, but it wasn't the SuperCoupe model. It was a great, reliable car.

Now, I'm thinking of getting a 92 T-Bird SC and was wondering if they shared the same reliability as the normal T-Bird. Have any of you guys and gals ever owned/worked on a T-Bird SC? If so, tell me about it!

Thanks

Those are great cars if they're in good shape. My mom had a '90 Super Coupe when I was in high school. I drove it to the Senior Prom. :) All in all, they're pretty damn fast and fairly comfy for 4, as you probably know. I've seen hp figures at 210 and torque at 315 lb ft. That hp is tame these days, but about equal to a Mustang 5.0 of the time, and for 1992 (just looked it up) a Corvette is rated at 300hp and 340 lb ft torque. That's not too shabby, especially for a supercharged 3.8 V6. They even get good mileage on the highway if you're not into the right pedal, we went to San Diego in it and it got high 20's cruising on I-5.

The biggie on these is mileage and maintenance. High mileage (well into the hundred k's) and/or unconfirmed maintenance = think twice, unless you're willing to drop money for a rebuild. But that's in the long run. If the buy is right, hell, I'd buy one now. :)

*oh yeah* Not at all critical, but mom's car also went through a few sets of brakes trying to track down a squeal that wouldn't go away. Seems to be an irritation with many similar year Fords in my experience, though, as my brother has done the same on a 94 Explorer and 89 Mustang 5.0 (still has the car), and my buddy as well on a 99 Explorer. Not a big deal, though.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

my uncle has a 94 i believe, also pretty sure the last year they made them, he absolutely loves his and doesnt want it to ever go away, he just did his engine and tranny at well over 100k the thing is though that the sc is very expensive to have rebuilt and there are certain parts that are simply not readily available, he shops ebay alot for pieces just in case or just to see whats out there, he was a county sherrif for years and was an EVOC instructer for years as well teaching cops how to drive like cops basically, so the car saw lots of highway miles and some fun :) and he still swears by it... i hope that helps