New Pathy owner from Alberta, Canada

DaveEDM

Just bought a used 99.5 pathfinder 4 weeks ago and got the timing belt & water pump replaced recently. The truck is rock solid now and I love it so much. I plan to take a "long" trip to the Rocky Mountain area the day after. BTW, I'm going to install a front grill guard, does anyone can tell me if it is easy to DIY, I have noticed there is a skid plate right on the front underneath, do I have to remove that plate in order to install the grill guard? Thanks.

Hi everyone, so glad to meet so many Pathy owners from all around the world:) This is my third vehicle and first SUV. All my family especially my two little boys are very excited with this nice truck. We drove around 900km today on various road conditions, mostly highway, plus a few mile's on muddy country road, uphill and downhill but not that steep. My 99.5 Pathy runs GREAT. The 3.3L engine is a bit underpower, but it's OK to me, the point is, she is a very solid truck and make me feel safe. Unfortunately, my camera battery run out with no photo taken.

Edited by DaveEDM

woohoo 99.5!!

Welcome to the board.

I don't know about the grill guard... I assume it's not too difficult to install. That "skid plate" or splash guard is easy to remove... Just a few screws/bolts... (or drag it thru some rocks and mud like I did, and it will be toast! lol) it's plastic, so not heavy, or anything.

You may want to reconsider the idea if you plan to take it off road much... it will lessen your clearance, and also, if you ever hit anything with it, there is a good chance it will do more harm than good. (I've seen the sides that come around the headlights, dent the fenders on either side)... They're not cheap, and if you do plan to get into offroading, you will want to look into a steel front bumper... our stock bumpers are way too pretty to drag over rocks!

woohoo 99.5!!

Welcome to the board.

I don't know about the grill guard... I assume it's not too difficult to install. That "skid plate" or splash guard is easy to remove... Just a few screws/bolts... (or drag it thru some rocks and mud like I did, and it will be toast! lol) it's plastic, so not heavy, or anything.

You may want to reconsider the idea if you plan to take it off road much... it will lessen your clearance, and also, if you ever hit anything with it, there is a good chance it will do more harm than good. (I've seen the sides that come around the headlights, dent the fenders on either side)... They're not cheap, and if you do plan to get into offroading, you will want to look into a steel front bumper... our stock bumpers are way too pretty to drag over rocks!

Thanks Pezzy and Daftpup, I have changed my mind after searching the Internet about the advantages vs disadvantages of the grill guard, I'm not planning to get into offroading so far unless it's needed. Instead, I am considering put a cargo basket on top of my Pathy to get a bit more carrying capacity. Actually, I just put one on, but it doesn't fit well with my canoe, gonna return it and change with a larger one.

I'd like to ask another question, my Pathy has a mileage about 120,000 miles, do I need to replace the spark plug wires (not done during the past 5 years)? The existing ones look pretty good, but the truck do has a start hesitation problem even I have just replaced air filter and timing belt, battery fully charged, applied Lucas fuel system cleaner.

Thanks.

Thanks Pezzy and Daftpup, I have changed my mind after searching the Internet about the advantages vs disadvantages of the grill guard, I'm not planning to get into offroading so far unless it's needed. Instead, I am considering put a cargo basket on top of my Pathy to get a bit more carrying capacity. Actually, I just put one on, but it doesn't fit well with my canoe, gonna return it and change with a larger one.

I'd like to ask another question, my Pathy has a mileage about 120,000 miles, do I need to replace the spark plug wires (not done during the past 5 years)? The existing ones look pretty good, but the truck do has a start hesitation problem even I have just replaced air filter and timing belt, battery fully charged, applied Lucas fuel system cleaner.

Thanks.

It couldn't hurt to change them anyways, how do the plugs look?

Looks mean nothing when it comes to plug wires. A member here (SkinnyPedal) had 1 year old Taylor 8mm wires on his truck and yet had a no start condition recently, that was due to the wires. Changed them, and the plugs (which weren't too bad, a little gummed up) and she fired right up.