Changing MT Fluids

kburgess

This is probably best for the "How To" forum, but it wouldn't let me post there. Anyway, I read the thread the other day regarding the fill hole on the manual tranny being too low, thereby preventing the case from filling as far as it needs to be in order to lubricate everything. I just bought my 95 a couple of weeks ago and all seems well so far. No whine, shifts smoothly, etc.. Since I just bought it though, I want to make sure all the fluids are fresh, and especially make sure I don't have a problem develop with the transmission, at least that I can prevent. I poked around the "how to" threads, but didn't find anything that specifically told how to change the fluid in the tranny. I imagine it's not rocket science, but I want to make sure I do a thorough job. Also, what are your recommendations for replacement gear oil? Any brand over another, synthetic vs. dino oil? I've read a lot of varying opinions on synthetics and dino oil, but was left with my head spinning. Thanks!

I did it a couple of times in my old truck. Wasn't too bad. You want 5.1L of fluid. GL-4 ONLY. Most GL-5 fluids will tear up your transmission, as the additives are corrosive to soft metals, of which, the synchros are made.

To fill it, I found it was easiest to simply remove the shifter (take the boots off, and 1 snap ring holds it in) and pour the fluid in directly from the top.

On the Synthetic vs Dino argument, the only difference I ever felt was in the first 2-3 shifts on cold mornings, the dino oil was like shifting through mud. Synthetic helped quite a bit in that regard.

since your head is already spinning i am not going to add anything on the oils.. just pick one.

make sure you undo the fill hole first before dumping the oil out of the tranny. it's the upper one. once you have that one udone, go ahead and undo the bottom one and drain the oil. put the plug back in when done and refill. that's all there is to it.

What mz said is true, in normal cases, though, not necessary if you're filling through the shifter hole, as you won't need to be able to fill via the fill hole.

This is probably best for the "How To" forum, but it wouldn't let me post there. Anyway, I read the thread the other day regarding the fill hole on the manual tranny being too low, thereby preventing the case from filling as far as it needs to be in order to lubricate everything. I just bought my 95 a couple of weeks ago and all seems well so far. No whine, shifts smoothly, etc.. Since I just bought it though, I want to make sure all the fluids are fresh, and especially make sure I don't have a problem develop with the transmission, at least that I can prevent. I poked around the "how to" threads, but didn't find anything that specifically told how to change the fluid in the tranny. I imagine it's not rocket science, but I want to make sure I do a thorough job. Also, what are your recommendations for replacement gear oil? Any brand over another, synthetic vs. dino oil? I've read a lot of varying opinions on synthetics and dino oil, but was left with my head spinning. Thanks!

I put a elbow pipe fitting on mine and a small piece of pipe to extend the fill hole higher. I will have to post a pic of the mod when I get a chance. It makes sure that I never forget to under fill it again no matter how senile I get . One replacement transmission is enough for me.

Mark