split cv boot?

jgt

okay, I have read bad stuff about these and know that the reman. axle is the way to go, but it's a beater truck and I'm keeping costs down. My passenger outer boot split this weekend and it still has grease, no noises. I am pretty sure I caught it right away, within a day or two. My friend helped me replace the inner boot on this side a year ago, so I know it's too much work for me to try alone. What are your experiences with these? $20 and I can do it myself, or $200 and get a reman. axle and pay a mechanic?

I've done both now. Just looking at the manual, I probably wouldn't mess with replacing with a stock boot on the shaft, but that's up to you. The split boot is like $25, did ok, was a real PITA to install because its nasty messy with the grease and has stupidly small little nuts and bolts for a guy like me with bear paws to try and put through the rubber boot, and it eventually died again on the trail anyways. The reman'd shaft was $62 at Napa, and other than my stuff being crusty and tough to loosen the bolts at the diff (used some torch heat and leverage), it was pretty straight forward and worth it for the long haul. I could do another in 1/3 the time for sure. Next time around, I'll definately skip the split boot and do it right, be it a new boot or more likely a reman'd shaft. Just my $0.02.

Just re-read. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but isn't the inner boot a bit more of a PITA to do anyways, compared to the outside one?

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Actually, it's less work, as I believe it's the inner joint that comes off the shaft when you take the thing apart. Don't quote me on that, as it's been a while, as I share your train of thought, Pickles....I just replace the shafts now when a boot tears.

Actually, it's less work, as I believe it's the inner joint that comes off the shaft when you take the thing apart. Don't quote me on that, as it's been a while, as I share your train of thought, Pickles....I just replace the shafts now when a boot tears.

That's what I'm thinking. If its $10 for a new boot, I can see the work figuring out in the end. For $25 (split boot) and my labor +cussing and fighting the damn thing vs. replacing it for $62 and not going in there again for hopefully a long time, I'd just replace it and call it good. The price of the split boot is already almost half that of the full shaft, minus the frustration.