Uh oh.....

ILoveMyPatty

Well, I was putting my interior back together, and putting on my dash piece that goes around the stereo, ashtray and climate control... annnd I bumped the 12V constant wire for the stereo that I THOUGHT would be fine, since I cut the wire flush with the butt connector and I didn't think anything was sticking out. Apparently it was. It sparked, and welded itself to the metal structural part inside the dash, and before I could pop the hood, grab pliers and undo the cable on the battery... It had burned the insulation off the wire all the way back into the wire loom stuff, the bundle of wires way up inside the dash.

:crossedwires::crossedwires::crossedwires:

I'm screwed. I won't connect the battery again until I sort this out. How do I take my glove box out? I'm thinking that if I do that, then I MIGHT just be able to reach the bundle of wires and fix the problem.

Problems galore, one after another... I'm starting to get the feeling that this Pathy will never be back on the road..

I'm really starting to get discouraged.

And in addition, the friggen thing when it's running smells like McDonalds. So, I'm thinking something is burnt up in the engine or somthing... I dono... I'm totally not pleased with this thing right now.

Well, I was putting my interior back together, and putting on my dash piece that goes around the stereo, ashtray and climate control... annnd I bumped the 12V constant wire for the stereo that I THOUGHT would be fine, since I cut the wire flush with the butt connector and I didn't think anything was sticking out. Apparently it was. It sparked, and welded itself to the metal structural part inside the dash, and before I could pop the hood, grab pliers and undo the cable on the battery... It had burned the insulation off the wire all the way back into the wire loom stuff, the bundle of wires way up inside the dash.

:crossedwires::crossedwires::crossedwires:

My understanding is that taking the glove box out isn't hard. I've seen people explain how it's done, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. As for the 12v constant wire, shouldn't that be fused in the fuse panel? Would it be as easy as pulling that fuse and you can still use the Pathy, because that wire will be dead? Or are you worried that it also melted insulation off neighboring wires?

My understanding is that taking the glove box out isn't hard. I've seen people explain how it's done, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. As for the 12v constant wire, shouldn't that be fused in the fuse panel? Would it be as easy as pulling that fuse and you can still use the Pathy, because that wire will be dead? Or are you worried that it also melted insulation off neighboring wires?

If you pull the radio and audip amp fuses you shouild be good. I think. :FartExplode-vi:

It did melt the insulation on neighboring wires, but not to the point where there's wire visible. I removed the glove box and dug around way in there, cutting the wrapping off of the wire bundle.

redfinder, I did pull the radio fuse for it, but it still arced, which is wierd. Not sure if the amp fuse will make a difference, I'm kinda hesitant to try it... I don't want to start a fire.

I popped the hood and cut the protection away from the huge bundle of wires coming out of the large grommet on the pass side, under the hood hinge. Digging around for the red wire with green stripe and grey marks on it... no luck. I was hoping I could find it and cut it, and wrap the end so it would be fine left alone, but nope... couldn't find it. It must change colors or something. So, it's either, I try the amp fuse as well, orrrrr I take the dash out, and get to it.

It did melt the insulation on neighboring wires, but not to the point where there's wire visible. I removed the glove box and dug around way in there, cutting the wrapping off of the wire bundle.

redfinder, I did pull the radio fuse for it, but it still arced, which is wierd. Not sure if the amp fuse will make a difference, I'm kinda hesitant to try it... I don't want to start a fire.

I popped the hood and cut the protection away from the huge bundle of wires coming out of the large grommet on the pass side, under the hood hinge. Digging around for the red wire with green stripe and grey marks on it... no luck. I was hoping I could find it and cut it, and wrap the end so it would be fine left alone, but nope... couldn't find it. It must change colors or something. So, it's either, I try the amp fuse as well, orrrrr I take the dash out, and get to it.

maybe this will help you....

You can't know what, if any, damage was also done to insulation to surrounding wires by guessing. The only way to avoid a real BIG proble'm[ like setting your truck on fire and dieing]is to start at one end and trace the entire harness untill you see where the damage ends. Even then its possible that the insulation might look good at some point and then have also melted somewhere further down the harness.It is going to be very labor intensive PITA but anything less is a dangerous risk. Sorry man. Good luck. - glenn

How hard is dash removal? I know that uncc has done it, but I'm just curious before I dive into this. And, uncc, when the dash is out, can you follow all of the wires to the firewall? I need to track down this wire and get it fixed, and inspect neighboring wires' insulation. Jeeze, what a headache..... This Pathfinder is really starting to get on my nerves... but she looks so good with those 32x11.50 BFG MT's... Needs a lift though, hehe.

I'm going to have to come back and read this again all the way through...but pulling the dash is fairly easy but a PITA...you can remove the lower half pretty easily...what I dont get is why the stereo hot wire wasnt fused...do you have this from the battery? if so you need to put an inline fuse...

to remove the glovebox theres 2 pins and you just push those guys in it falls down and you can remove the hinges then remove the back panel to the glovebox and should be able to see the harness there... but yea if it was fused then I dont think you should have too much to worry about but it really sounds like it wasnt...

It was the 12v (+) wire for the factory stereo. I thought it was fused so I removed the Radio fuse in the panel, and it sparked when it touched the metal again. I don't understand why a hot wire wouldn't be fused... Odd. I pulled the back panel behind the glovebox and I pulled the harness out a bit, and followed the melted wire all the way into the loom and up as high as I could go and it was still melted. So, I need to remove part of the dash to get to it.

It's the loom that comes down behind the glovebox and goes into the climate control and radio. Not sure if it goes into the engine compartment or not. I cut away the loom in the engine compartment though, where the big grommet is on the pass side, by the fender. I can't find the small red/grn wire, nor can I find any damaged wires. I think it may have stopped burning behind the dash somewhere. Approx removal and installation time of the dash, uncc?

hmm well my time was streached out over a couple months but I"ve got to pull it again I'm worried about some of my routings but I dont know when I'm going to get to it.

I'd say pulling the dash will take 2 hrs tops thats if you remove all the hvac and everything...be careful with the fasteners up top at the windshield you ahve to remove the defrost vents to get to the screws...remove the steering column cover dash bezzle and cluster and lower dash and glovebox...then the driver side vent and wires...tehn the top part of the dash lifts out pretty much IIRC...fi you dont touch any of the hvac stuff then going back together is only like 3 or 4 hrs I'd say with a snag or 2...

do you have a wriing diagram? that would help you to know where you are trying to follow this wire...I assume you wont need to pull the dash to follow it or you could check its final location esp if its in the OEM harness...hit up GhostPath? i think it was that scanned the schematics in with a donation of the harness and trace it on paper then trace it in the vehicle...

I've gone thru every diagram in the Haynes manual with no success. You say PM GhostPath to see if he has the wiring diagram?

I think tomorrow I'll tackle the dash. I don't think it burned too far... but then again.. smoke was coming from around the defrost vents... ugghhhh.... new wiring harness anyone? heh...